WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Increase sales during a recession with PR

PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
edited May 2008 in Public Relations
As word spreads about the recession, don`t lose hope. Instead, take action!

One tip is to increase your PR activities. Conduct the appropriate research and call media members directly to pitch your unique story.

As a small business owner, you can share your passion about your products and services. Plus, reporters, writers and producers are always looking for fresh, unique stories.

Publicity helps you gain third-party credibility and awareness you simply can`t purchase via advertising methods so now is the perfect time to use it to your advantage.

What cost-effective tips do you have for others during these economic times to help their new businesses thrive?

Comments

• Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Melanie -
    What I am seeing a lot of now is business owners in a panic - because the recession is already impacting them.  There`s a lot of "wheel spinning" going on as they try to determine what to do first to bring some business in the door.
    I always tell my clients that they need to be promoting themselves ALL the time, especially when times are good - using PR, advertising, marketing and non-traditional methods - so that when the economy does slow down their business prospects won`t.  Media relationships developed and maintained during the good times can be very valuable in a less than ideal economy.
    - J.LogoMotives5/8/2008 11:52 AM
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

I completely agree, and this is a good point.

Maintaing a regular publicity program that targets current situations, future opportunities and potential crises is a great way for a business to reduce stress.

It`s kind of like going to the gym every day. You can work out for an immediate need to lose weight or feel better emotionally, but it also helps you look good for swimsuit season and have more strength when you have an unexpected need to lift heavy boxes or your children!

Melanie
  • Options
    Good analogy Craig!
    Melanie
  • Options
    saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    A recession is defined as two quarters of shrinkage in real GDP. Expenditures are reduced, especially on fixed investments (equipment, houses). Prices of those things go down until supply and demand rebalance.
  • Options
    arjun123arjun123 subscriber Posts: 114 Silver Level Member
    In a recession or a great economy, PR has the same function. ... understanding, acceptance and sales between an organisation and its target audience (ie customers). Use online public relationsto increase your online visibility and develop ...