WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

eCommerce advice

i486dx266i486dx266 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
Hi,

I'm new here but I need some help. I'm trying to start a company on the side of a full time job, bootstrapping with very little cash to start. It's incorporated in Norway, but not making any sales.
We are two people doing this part time (10-15 hrs per week each). We have been trying to find a product to sell online and on amazon fba for more than a year and we can't for the life of us manage to find any products that are viable for sale.

We have been looking through several niches and now think survivalism/prepping products may be a good niche. It appears to be a growing billion dollar market in the US alone.

We are based in Norway and look to source from and sell in the US. (Long term, relocating to US is the plan) The Norwegian market is too small (population just under LA + San Diego) and the trends and interests are quite off compared with USA, UK, Australia, Canada etc. Also the toll and import charges are ridiculous.

When it comes to amazon fba, we seem to be hitting one legal and tax requirement after another. So it looks like I have to shell out for a CPA in USA in addition to the one in Norway.

We have been looking for good eCommerce courses, but all the courses that we have found online seem to be just from people who are mostly making money just from selling courses about how to sell, and not people who are actually in the top of the eCommerce selling field. (I have been reading books on eCommerce, but they all seem to be low quality? - What are the best and most current?)

At this point we really need some professional help, but we have no idea where to look.

Comments

• Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    Hi 266,

Yes, it is easier to sell if you have a good product. However, I would personally think that "where to find your customers" is more important. It is no point selling a product that you do not know where to find even your first customer. For example: selling a high tech, heavy and complex machine. The product is good but you do not know how to start with.

There are really a lot of things you can sell. Why don't you try drop shipping business? You can operate your business like supermarket and under your own brand name. The merchant will take care of the delivery, so you can forget about import or export (whatever duties and taxes).

On the other hand, you can join affiliate program, just promote merchant's products, complete the sale and receive commission. Simple enough! If you want to operate your own brand name, go search for merchant that provide private or white label. Some allowing you to set your own prices.

The most difficult and challenging task is always "MARKETING/SALES". Since only both of you (you and your friend) are doing it on a part time basis. Then, I recommend you to join drop shipping business or affiliate program (or something that the merchant will take care of the back-end works), so that you can spend at least 80% of your time doing the marketing and sales works, which is the main function to generate the most profit and the ultimate objective in everyone's mind.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• arjun123arjun123 subscriber Posts: 114 Silver Level Member
    Think of ways to put your customer on a pedestal. If you treat your customers right, they'll keep coming back. Stay in touch with your customers. ... Brainstorm things you can do for your customers that'll make them happy while strengthening your relationship with them.
  • MikeGMikeG subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member

Yes as arjun123 mentioned you want to treat your customers right but first they have to find you. I'm not expert when it comes to Amazon but I am when it comes to designing and optimizing eCommerce stores.

Once you decide on the type of products you want to sell message me and we can go over digital marketing channels that could be of help to your business.

Thanks,

Mike Gandy

https://www.localdudesmarketing.com