WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Promotion of my site - help?

lawrence619lawrence619 subscriber Posts: 3
Hi,
I tried various social networking, a bit of Adwords spending, direct contact, and partnerships with potential sites.
But nothing strongly of those is really sticking, or getting anywhere.
My site is: http://www.itsbusinessbaby.com/ it`s local small business info, via the Business Card images of local city businesses.

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The background images are distracting  - I would think a simple white of off-white color would do very well.

The search mechanism produces varied results. Unlike search engine (google) results, it seem I need to use the exact search terms to yield good results. For example: searching on "realtor" produces different results than a search on "real estate".... so a viewer ttried to find rea estate agents / realtors may see different results depending upon what they use.

~Roland

• lawrence619lawrence619 subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Wow- thorough response CraigL, and thank you too for your reply vwebworld.
    Yes, that`s right - users submit their business card image - and data. And the admin manually inserts/edit the business card per given city.
    It can`t be automated...because the business card image is subject to editing...cropping...and adjusting the contrast/brightness...all in Photoshop...so the image will seem large, and bright, and clear.
    Sometimes, there`ll be `crossover` keywords...that are associated with varying degrees of "home" and "realtor", for example. Both realtors and contractors...will have `Home` as part of their keyword lists.
    Based on the domain name/catchphrase, if you will....the site personality Has to be "loud". that was the intended personality from the get-go for the site.
    Oh, another thing...also from the get-go...I want the business cards to be Static, and Pure at it`s core. That`s what makes the site unique. If i make emails, for example, in the business cards linkable...it`ll only destroy the pure business card concept.
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    The only problem with keeping the business cards static is that practice is contrary to the effective use of the internet, a web site, and is not user friendly.
    If I`m a viewer looking for a realtor, I perform a search on itsbusinessbaby.com and get a page that displays a bunch of business cards - so far so good. Now that I have that information displayed, to use it I must get a piece of paper and write it down or maybe print the page. Then type in the realtor`s web site address or open my email program and again type in the email address.

I would think it would be easier for the viewer just to use a search engine (google, yahoo, etc) to search for a realtor and get a link directly to the realtor`s web site.

So, to get people to use your site and thus convince businesses to list their business card - you need to convey how and why your method/approach is better than others or how it benefits the user and business.

~Roland
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    How can one possibly add to what Craig and Roland have suggested?
    Trying to not repeat them, here are my first impressions....
    It`s much too large.  The text, the images, everything is too large.  It looks gauche.
    I should be able to click on a card to go to their website.
    I should be able to download the cards of interest.  You are already paid by the cardholder, so why are you restricting the downloads?
    I would like to elect see the list of cards in a text only format, with sortable columns (ZIP code comes to mind).
    There is NO logical order to the images of the dozens of cards.  If your site picks up steam, you won`t be able to continue doing this manually.
    There`s no mention of the price for adding a card.  I don`t want the teaser of "first 50 spots free", what will spot #51 cost me?  Also, what counts as a "spot"? 
  • lawrence619lawrence619 subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi replyers,
    The site is free - indefinitley, for businesses to submit their business card.
    The `50 free` cards, was there from the `old days` when I originally intended only the first 50 spots of each city to be free. But later changed my mind, when finding how difficult it would be to charge at this point.
    I know, I know...I`m the first to admit, the site isn`t precise, or technical. If anything - it`s probably the worst website...since you have to only observe the business info visually.
    But like i said, I want to keep the "Business Card" concept pure at it`s core. for better or for worse.
    Not every business, has a site. So it shouldn`t really be clickable to link to their site.
    The site is basically like a phonebook directory. But with business cards of local businesses. think that.
    don`t think of it as a "website", per se.
    I still need help though getting local business to want to submit their business card to the site!
    i guess my problem is i`m trying to create awareness, w/ a Very small - to none, marketing and promotion budget.lawrence6195/18/2008 12:41 AM
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    As a business owner, I would much rather simply pay either a monthly or annual, reasonable fee for placement, or a click-thru (pennies per click) fee.
    If the placement is truly free for now, then remove the confusing fee information.  Maybe make it free during the beta phase or introductory phase, then placement fees will apply - but tell the advertiser what to expect!
    As a user I would expect better locating or sorting methods, and the card should definitely be downloadable (I don`t understand why you would block the copying of the card images).  The card should also be clickable.  If the card owner doesn`t have a website, then tell the visitor so.  (And tell the website designers on this site about the opportunity).
  • venmalathyvenmalathy subscriber Posts: 0
    You can get the SEO service from Thewebpole.com this SEO service helps to promote the site in many search engines.
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Here the way to promote your site:
    1. Use the three big local listing services
    2. Embrace social media
    3. Start a blog
    4. Put up multimedia on YouTube and Flickr
    5. SEO your company website
    6. Press releases
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Your content is one of the most important parts of your website. Average content is not enough. Your articles have to stand out as the best in the niche and be worthy to rank high in Google. Analyze what others have written about your topic and do everything you can to make your articles even better. Be the “go to” resource for your niche.
  • DarissaDarissa subscriber Posts: 23
    edited December 2016
    Many people have many opinions. I can recommend to you utah seo company like this, with whom I worked. They helped me with the promotion and seo optimization of my website. I know that Google can evaluate the site as untrusted and then you have to start all over again, so I prefer not to risk. I think that everyone should do so that he gets good)
  • sinGNsinGN subscriber Posts: 116 Silver Level Member
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Social Media is the best way to promote the website.