WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How do you balance work and life?

Comments

• gambitgambit subscriber Posts: 31 Bronze Level Member
    This would vary depending on a persons lifestyle. It would be definitely different from someone who is married to someone and to someone who has a kid. It would also vary depending on what personality you have. It would be a good idea to first understand what you're threshold is and shape your work on that.
    Tips to bring in the work life balance
    1. Don’t bring work home

2. Start with making small changes

3. Perfection is an illusion

4. Share the workload

5. Learn to say no

6. Meditate and exercise

7. Avoid procrastinating
  • Debvie MedinaDebvie Medina subscriber Posts: 10 Member
    Hello there! In my opinion, make sure to set goals and make plans ahead of the day so that you will be able to do the tasks and appointments at the same time you will be able to have time to your family as well.
  • Tom AdamsTom Adams subscriber Posts: 70 Bronze Level Member
    I'm such a kind of person that when I come home, I forget all my work routine 
  • sarahcampbellsarahcampbell subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    Very simply: whatever makes you happy, whatever you find fulfilling and which helps you stay healthy.
    It varies tremendously. I know people who absolutely LOVE their job, and they are bored or sad when the weekend comes along because they really look forward to Monday. S’okay. If that wobbles your oyster, then knock yourself out.
    Other people I know carry out their jobs because they need to pay the rent, but they really only wake up when they are out running or dancing…
    It will depend very much on who you are, whether you are in a relationship (and what kind of relationship), what you enjoy…
    Personally, I find it varies depending on my current workload.
  • Sandra YanceySandra Yancey subscriber Posts: 34 Bronze Level Member
    Great Share!!
    If we focus too much on our careers our personal life suffers, and if we focus too much on family it seems we will not achieve the success we want - and then there are the household obligations, volunteer opportunities, health and fitness responsibilities, oh and if there is any time left at all maybe you can find time to do something you want to do just because. 
    So, I want to say listen to your heart!! You only have one life and you get to choose what you make of it.
  • jtfoxx9826jtfoxx9826 subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you sharing it. For me you can balance work and life. Example: When you plan your week, make it a point to schedule time with your family and friends, and activities that help you recharge.

Slowly build more activities into your schedule that are important to you. Even during a hectic day, you can take 10 or 15 minutes to do something that will recharge your batteries.You have to make a little time for the things that ignite your joy. Yes social media is a distracting medium but you can use it wisely and for social talk with your friends and relatives only not for anything that distract you and others.

• TriceTrice subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    create "sacred spaces" for the different things you are committed to

work
    family and social life
    sleep
    food
    exercise etc

creating these boundaries make you value the time you have and  the purpose for which you are working. you end up saving time and energy and living life more meaningfully

• Em.reedEm.reed subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member
    As entrepreneurs, I think we often feel the need to spend as many hours as possible per day pushing and working, sacrificing sleep, health, family, and personal time. While a new business does require a lot of work and hours, it is also so important to make sure we maintain our sanity so we can be the most effective in the long run. It's like the airplane oxygen mask analogy. When the oxygen masks drop, you are supposed to put your own mask on first before helping others, because if you aren't alive and healthy, you can't help others. So, in order to be the most effective in your startup, you've got to make sure you're taking care of yourself first. 
  • arjun123arjun123 subscriber Posts: 114 Silver Level Member
    1. Play to your strengths. ...
    2. Prioritise your time. ...
    3. Know your peaks and troughs. ...
    4. Plot some personal time. ...
    5. Have set work hours – and stick to them. ...
    6. Find time for your finances. ...
    7. Manage your time, long term. ...
    8. Make your workspace work for you

• valikkavalikka subscriber Posts: 20 Bronze Level Member

Why check yourself? You just need to properly plan your time.
  • Taskenator Ltd.Taskenator Ltd. subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    gambit said:
    This would vary depending on a persons lifestyle. It would be definitely different from someone who is married to someone and to someone who has a kid. It would also vary depending on what personality you have. It would be a good idea to first understand what you're threshold is and shape your work on that.
    Tips to bring in the work life balance
    1. Don’t bring work home

2. Start with making small changes

3. Perfection is an illusion

4. Share the workload

5. Learn to say no

6. Meditate and exercise

7. Avoid procrastinating
    Good points, but don't forget to work on making a schedule so you can really segregate work from family/personal time. Also, work on having Plan B's just in case something urgent comes up that will disrupt the schedule. :)
  • AlexcorbettAlexcorbett subscriber Posts: 3 Member

I agree with you thanks for this excellent post about how to balance work and life.

• ilochkailochka subscriber Posts: 24 Bronze Level Member

Work must be part of life. But not life is part of the job

• PulsarrPulsarr subscriber Posts: 89 Silver Level Member

I think you must pay attention on the rest and your hobbies to stay happy.

• jjackevansjjackevans subscriber Posts: 64 Bronze Level Member

I agree with Pulssarr. Hobby is great way to relax from work and problems. I like gardening. It is a great hobby - something to enjoy in your spare time, for sure. But it can also be a great profession, as those of us who are professional growers can attest- though in this country there is a nonsensically stupid social stigma attatched to farming and manually working the land, that deters young people from entering the field, so to speak. But it is not about me! I even thinking about buying livestock, I can make money on this. Now I want to make electric fences https://bestyardproducts.com/how-to-electrify-a-fence/ They will bring me a higher level of security as far as my animals are concerned.