WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Advice sought on first employees please

Hi all,
I'm seeking some advice please.  I'm looking at starting up in the UK following a US business model.  I.e. market exists and is well established in USA, relatively new in UK but does have some small scale start-ups in recent years.

Dilemma on hiring first employees/senior team: 
1. Hire local. Much cheaper than US rates.  Keen to learn.  Lacks hands-on experience.
2. Hire/consult from USA and try to entice over to UK.  4-5 times UK rate.  Brings hands-on knowledge to hit the ground running.

The trade-off is between the higher US staff costs vs longer start-up period by having to learn as we go.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Answers

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited March 2019
    Hello, @kelly_b! Welcome to the community. 

In my opinion, it's always better to hire for quality rather than hiring somebody who you're not confident in just to save money.

However, cases vary of course. Just because somebody doesn't have experience doesn't mean they won't be good at the job (so long as they've had schooling or training beforehand) or don't have potential. Everybody has to start somewhere. On the other hand, just because somebody has been working in the field for a number of years, doesn't necessarily mean they're top notch employees. 

Still, there are certain tasks where you would prefer experience over somebody who is green. I would conduct some interviews and see who you think is a fit first. Keep an open mind. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC