WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Online Contracts

WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
I am considering setting up a web site, in which different parties may make rentals between themselves. The purpose of the site is simply to list items available for rent by individuals, and other individuals can see the items information, contact them, and if so desired make an agreement between themselves to rent the items. The site itself would not be involved in any way other than the items listings and initiating contact between the individuals.
The main reason I am thinking of electronic/online types is because some of the rentals may be under a time constraint as far as making an agreement and actually starting the rental term.
I am wondering if I should recommend, or affiliate with, another company that specializes in online contracts, or possibly set up a system on my own site. Again, all contracts would be between the individuals and not include my site in any way, but to offer the convenience of having the system on my site may assist the overall process for the individuals.
Either way, would anyone foresee any legal issues I need to think about? Are there any contract providers you would recommend? Or anything else to consider or look into?

Comments

• Options
    saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member

The legality of a contract that has been signed online (or electronically signed)varies based on the jurisdictional laws of that geographic area and the nature or the purpose of the document. The electronic communications act 2000 and the electronic signature regulations 2002 have laid out the legal framework for electronic signatures in the UK. According to this law, all electronic signatures are considered of equal status and a handwritten signature can be satisfied by any electronic signature.