WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Changing or specializing a business name

Hey!

So here's the thing. I've been doing business as Blazing Web Services since 2012. The original business was developed as a catch-all for anything web-based (i.e website development, social media, content creation and video editing). Since then, my work has become 95% video editing for online platforms like YouTube, Facebook live, etc.

I run into confusion sometime when potential clients contact me for web design when that isn't something I really do anymore. I focus on Video Editing. I'm also trying to get more original content on my website - ebooks, a video training course, podcast, etc.

What are the implications (and benefits) of rebranding my business name from "Blazing Web Services" to something more directed to video work?

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited March 2019
    Hello, @info@blazingwebservices.com

Of course, changing your business name means a lot of paperwork -- changing licenses and permits, updating business documents, etc. You also may have to contact places like the IRS or apply for a new EIN. Then you have to think about a marketing budget in order to re-position your company and create awareness about the name change (social media, and perhaps talking about it on your videos or podcast, could be a cost-effective way to communicate this with customers).  You also have to take serious time to consider which name will best communicate what you'e trying to accomplish, and then research to make sure said name isn't already in use. 

While all of that may take a lot work and effort, and may have to allocate a budget toward the efforts, it is likely worthwhile in the long run. This way you don't have to turn potential clients away because they'll (most likely) understand what services you offer. 

I found this helpful article from QuickBooks about potential steps to take: 
    https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/inner-circle/7-steps-to-changing-your-business-name/ 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    info@blazingwebservices.cominfo@blazingwebservices.com subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Hello, @info@blazingwebservices.com

Of course, changing your business name means a lot of paperwork -- changing licenses and permits, updating business documents, etc. You also may have to contact places like the IRS or apply for a new EIN. Then you have to think about a marketing budget in order to re-position your company and create awareness about the name change (social media, and perhaps talking about it on your videos or podcast, could be a cost-effective way to communicate this with customers).  You also have to take serious time to consider which name will best communicate what you'e trying to accomplish, and then research to make sure said name isn't already in use. 

While all of that may take a lot work and effort, and may have to allocate a budget toward the efforts, it is likely worthwhile in the long run. This way you don't have to turn potential clients away because they'll (most likely) understand what services you offer. 

Great response! Thanks!!

I'm going to check out that link!