WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How To Commercialize Product That Needs Installation or Customization?

mellotangomellotango subscriber Posts: 4
Hi,

I've recently submitted a provisional patent for a novel outdoor camper product to be used by vehicles. But since every vehicle model is different, there has to be some value add service provided by the seller at the end to install this component inside the vehicle by servicemen, or to be able to provide a small amount of customization for the camp kitchen layout. I have been considering the licensing way, i.e. to collect royalties but the more I think about my product, it is not generic and simply put on the shelves and sold. The licensee who is interested to pick up my product not only has to manufacture and distribute it, but to provide after sales installation/customization service. And even if they are willing to do it, do they have enough outlets to provide the installation service nationwide? In this respect, what options do I have? Should I continue to look at licensing still, or is there other business models for product commercialization that I can consider?

Thx in advance

James

Comments