WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

FOB or CIF shipping

GOGAGOGA subscriber Posts: 2 Member
Hi, 

I'm a new startup about to go into a biz relationship with Chinese manufacturers. I need to make a decision on what freight option to choose from. Has anyone got experience with importing from China and which shipping do you find works the best? The goods are mugs. My client can collect the goods from the port here in the UK but part of it will be going to my business address as well. 

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• AllenJoyAllenJoy subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Goga,

Over 70% even 80% of China export orders are with FOB term.

Most importors prefer FOB term.Because they pay their shipping agency fee to manage mugs you receive from port,they will handle afterwards works for you,flow under customers control.

However,you can use CIF term as well if you would like to save your time.

So FOB or CIF upon your preference.

Normally,international buyers use their own carriers and purchasing agents in China.

Pls let me know if any help we can do for you.

Thanks.

Allen
  • Alex SaffariAlex Saffari subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hey,

My preference is FOB terms with your manufacturer combined with using your own forwarding company to arrange the transport from the Chinese export port.

You will have better visibility of your inbound shipping costs from the export port to your delivery point.

Whenever I, or my clients have used CIF, they have struggled for information, control over the arrival port and also the costs once they arrive in the UK.

Hope this helps :)
    Alex
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member

CIF – COST INSURANCE AND FREIGHT :
    The seller must pay the costs and freight includes insurance to bring the goods to the port of destination. However, a risk is transferred to the buyer once the goods are loaded on the ship.

FOB – FREE ON BOARD :

The seller must themselves load the goods on board the ship nominated by the buyer, cost and risk being divided at ship’s rail. The seller must clear the goods for export. Maritime transport only but NOT for multimodal sea transport in containers.