WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Designing the prototype - then where to get it made?

TopchopsTopchops subscriber Posts: 3 Member
Newbie - my first post: I have a product idea - a textile item in the outdoor gear department. I'll soon be making my prototype and it won't be pretty to start with. Once it's done, how can I find a company to make an initial batch for me? Ideally one that won't see what a good idea it is and just start making it themselves. I'm in Bulgaria and ideally would like it made here but of course, China might be the way to go. How to find a needle in that haystack?

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Welcome to the community, @Topchops. Have you considered trademarking your product and applying for a patent to protect your idea before looking for a manufacturer? I think that should be your first step. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    Thanks, I don't think the product achieves anything really new but it's definitely a different way of doing it. Well, without explaining it to someone in the know, it might well be an idea worth protecting. Maybe it's at least possible to register the design if it can't be patented. Is this something that needs to be done in the country where you reside? I only ask this because my language is English and my Bulgarian isn't so great, especially as it would be legal terms too.
  • Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited February 2019
    I am not too familiar with the trademarking process personally, especially outside of the U.S. But how I understand it is if you have registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, it is protected in the U.S. But, in order to do business outside of the United States, you will need to register it separately in the countries where you plan to do business. Therefore, I think you would need to register it within the country the business (or product) would reside in. Again, though, I am not completely clear on this topic, so I would advise you to research the trademarking process in Bulgaria. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    Thank you very much for taking time to answer this. My next step will be to go directly to whatever departments deal with these things and see what's needed. Bulgaria has a really small (and shrinking) population. The UK would be my main target area.