WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Funding for my nonprofit and boys clothing line

Kevonia MaysKevonia Mays subscriber Posts: 21 Bronze Level Member
I have a nonprofit women's empowerment group that is already started. Our mission it to help women come together and support each other. We provide different resources and services to homeless like housing, employment, food, clothes, resume help, and more. 

I would like to start a boys clothing line. It's still in the preparation stage but I would like to receive some kind of funding. 

Answers

• Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member

Hi,

I believe you can write to both government and companies to raise fund. Alternatively, you can distribute flyers, email or cold call. It may seem no different from normal marketing activities, which you first need to make your organisation known (‘advertise’) to others.

Alternatively, you can also send an email to webmasters, to ask if they are willing to include a link to your website (or donate page).

Hope that helps.

Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• Kevonia MaysKevonia Mays subscriber Posts: 21 Bronze Level Member
    Do I need to have a business plan already written before I write them? 
  • Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    How much do you actually need for the startup and operational cost each month? If you are approaching government bodies or large corporations (major donors) then you will definitely need a formal business or strategic plan. Even making profit isn't the primary objective, but donors are interested to know how you run the organisation and how you keep it sustainable. 

Appreciate major donors by giving them something in return, such as:
    1) Print their logo on your flyers, magazine or website
    2) Again, have their logo printed on the clothes or shirts before distributing to anyone
    3) You may make it a priority to refer the most talented people to work for the major donors (large corporation). 

Generally, you need funds from them to run business operation, while the donors wish to have good publicity. Give them a reason(s) why they should support your mission and vision. Find a win-win solution.

On the other hand, minor donors don't usually read your business plan with 50-100 pages long. They do not mind donating $5-$10 per month to support your organisation.

Know who your donors (customers) are before deciding next step. Hope that helps.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• Kevonia MaysKevonia Mays subscriber Posts: 21 Bronze Level Member
    That helped a lot! Thank you