WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

tech startup looking for some sort of cashierless store possibility

dankarldankarl subscriber Posts: 1 Member
cashierless store seems to be a too big of an adventure of a small guy like me but i cant quit pondering. It looks like bigger one like Amazon is testing the ideas, there were controversial bodega project from google which died. I am not thinking like ultra-modern AI talking system but something more of a candy-dispenser machine but offers more flexibility and adjustability for more wide range of products up to a certain size and weight within the specification. 

problem i face is cultural and international, i am not contemplating this in a US or western countries but in home country which is poor but also opportunities haven't been filled up as much as in western world where every opportunity is plugged with competition and get owned.

Now problem facing with the situation is, I Dont think I can pick up and use existing platform because adjustment to local currency will be required meaning at least some sort of R&D is required. (communication with bank, internet, detecting counterfeit etc.m)

Secondly, burglary is common so extra physical protection for any goods sold or protection from vandalism is necessary.

That is currently my idea only, I am an IT expert worked in a multinational corp for year but got no clue or experience on this type of project. I am looking for easiest and fastest path to operational store at some point if I go for it. Any open-design platform available for this? What sort of software/API-s are common for this sort of platform.

I can brainstorm something embedded linux running GUI for user experience and TCP/IP stack for internet connectivity and special protocol for communicating with the local bank. 

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited January 2019
    This is an interesting idea, but on top of budgets constrictions that you've already mentioned,  I also think you would need a large team of people to accomplish such a task. That means they'll need to be paid for their services, they need to be the right fit for what you're trying to accomplish and they must be very skilled in the tech space. And if a similar Google project failed -- a company that has every resource imaginable -- then this sounds like something that is going to be extremely difficult to pull off, which may be putting it lightly. 

I'm never one for telling somebody not to follow their dreams, though, and if you're passionate about this, then go for it. But what I am saying is do plenty of due diligence, cover all of your bases, devise a business plan, get a loan, talk to everybody you can in the industry and, only once you have done all of that, then attempt to create it. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC