WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Goal-Setting Hangups I need Help figuring out...`

solid71solid71 subscriber Posts: 2 Member
Hi All,
   Two-Part Question on Goal Setting, i.e. Micro-Goals:

Part One:
A lot of times, projects I am working on can come down to waiting for a follow up E-mail or Call in order to proceed with the next steps forward, which may be Set of Steps "A" or Set of Steps "B", depending on the reply/answer/call/mail/text I am waiting for. Sometimes, this is an outcome out of our control (the return call/mail.etc), and it can really hinder your progress on that specific project.

How do you folks work it into your goal-setting? Right now, I move on to other items, but it is still sticking out like a sore thumb...begging for attention, but you've already left a message or sent an E-mail asking for a reply, etc...VERY furstrating....how do you folks handle this type of goal roadblock?

Part Two:
  This is kind of related to Part One, because, these "waiting for follow up" roadblock-hindered project goals need to be treated as if using a completely seperate system if goal-setting...
and I now wind up using the micro-goal process on my other ongoing projects, but there is no unity, because I have to tend to this roadblocked goal path in one way or another.

How can I unify my approach.

I hope this was not too vague...please let me know

Regards,
Rob

Comments

• Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    Hi Rob,

I don't have enough information to give specific advice. It depends on who you and they are.

For example:
    You and your clients - You will definitely have a deadline for every project. Tell them that they will incur additional charge if the project exceeded the deadline. This forces them to response to you.

You and teammates - If all of you work in the same unit or department, then ask your superior for help. Your superior can instruct everyone within the team to comply.

You and colleagues - If all of you work in a different department, then (again) you can ask for your superior to talk to their head of department. Alternatively, try to relate your project to them. For example: gather information from them, analyse it and produce the result/summary (beautiful graphs and charts). Share the summary with them, so that they know they will be getting something valuable in return (a win-win situation). Tell them that how important this piece of information can be for their decision making process.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• solid71solid71 subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks so much for your information!!!

I am trying to chomp down on this and integrate it.

I am trying to source as many views as possible.

Happy Holidays!
    Regards,
    Rob
  • AntonSCAntonSC subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Think in terms of the direction you're moving rather than specific milestones. I know that contradicts everything you heard about goal setting and stuff, that it should be measurable, has time boundaries and all that s.m.a.r.t. thing, but in reality, it puts you under psychological pressure, which is the worst thing you can deal with. There was a study on that.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    To achieve success in any business, you need to set goals and objectives of your business, efficiently. Business goals help to know the target to achieve with the available resources.