WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Minimum expected ROI?

ThomasCalcThomasCalc subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2015 in Startup Funding
Hello,

I've a game project and have been in contact with an industry expert. He finds the project very impressive (including our past, the skilled team, the current game prototype, and the business plan). But he said I've no chance to get funded because the 100% profit (ROI) in my business plan is too low for investors. He said investors want at least 3-5 times ROI.

Is this true? I heard there are more levels of funding (angel, seed, venture capital etc.). Is 300%-500% profit (ROI) necessary everywhere?

The funding need is 1.8 million USD in the business plan.

Comments

• SteelmlLordSteelmlLord subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I can help. What's your email address?
  • Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    Each industry is different. Required ROI may be higher for IT industry because products/softwares get obsolete more quickly as compared to hotel or restaurant industry (example).

Therefore, it is reasonable for investors to expect higher ROI for game project. However, 300%-500% seems too high.

As general rule of thumb, project or investment looks fine as long as the ROI is higher than risk free rate (which is Fixed Deposit rate). If your project's ROI is lower than FD %, then it will be rejected automatically, investors will rather put their money into the bank.

Again, depends on the lifespan of the project, if the project has a short lifespan, investors will want to recover their investment (capital) plus other returns quickly. 
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/