WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Am I too old to switch careers?

EmanuelSio37EmanuelSio37 subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Currently, I have been working as the general manager for a foreign marriage agency for nearly 10 years now. Don’t get me wrong, I love what I do. It feels incredibly amazing to be the bridge that brings people together for love and romance. However, I have been thinking of changing careers lately. Despite how fulfilling my current job is, I feel like there is more out there for me.

I want to try something new and exciting. Maybe learn how to code and get a job at a startup company, or I don’t know, finish my studies and finally get my degree in psychology. I’m already in my late 30s, so it might be too late for me. Am I too old to be switching careers and starting from scratch all over again?

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited August 2018
    Hi, @EmanuelSio37

First, off all, I don't think late 30s is too old if you feel you would have the drive and passion to start something new. There are several baby boomers who start businesses after retiring from their career jobs. Of course, the benefit of staying at your current job is stability and that's a scary thing to leave behind. It really comes down to what you want to do in order to live a happy life. You're the only one who knows that answer! 

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    thekingshaynthekingshayn subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    You're never too old to do anything, except for a few things. If you really yearn for a change, just go for it. You may or may not succeed, but at least you'd know that you tried.
  • Options
    Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    Hi,

There are 3 things to consider before changing a job.

1) Time
    Do you have time to really learn to code (or something else)? Since you are in late 30s, probably your children are grown up and you have the extra time to commit to learn a new set of skills.

2) Financial
    Do you want to resign from you current job and focus 100% on learning new skill? Or, you prefer to start it 'slowly' on part time basis? There is a possibility that you may earn far lesser than what you are earning currently. If you have earned decent of amount of money for the past 10 years and you have a lot of personal saving, then you will have no financial worry.

3) Health
    If you are a healthy person and stay fit, then you will have no problem memorising and learning something new. 

Hope that helps.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• Options
    WilliamW123WilliamW123 subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Of course,well said  Tuah Bao
  • Options
    Connie975Connie975 subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    I think, you should try your luck in starting a new business. probably a startup. it does not have to be IT, it could be anything under the sun. 
  • Options
    Why-EyesWhy-Eyes subscriber Posts: 51 Bronze Level Member
    You are not too old to switch, heck I would say your the perfect age too! If you really want to switch and find something else that you want to do then in my opinion you should go and try.