WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Passion vs good idea???

Oil change guyzOil change guyz subscriber Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in Selecting a Business
Hi my name is Shane.

I'm currently 22 and a diesel mechanic. I've been kicking around idea for past 2 years about starting a new business in town that's unique to my location.

Mobile oil change. No real competition couple dealers around and Walmart that's it no quick lubes like jiffy lube etc.

My concern is I'm not real passionate bout doing oil changes though I believe there's a market for it in my area!! like I wouldn't do oil changes for FUN haha so what's your opinions on opening business that isn't all that fun too do , do you think if I made good money it make it lot easier and more funnn. I compare it to construction or anything it ain't the funniest but if money there you would be happy doing it...??

Any suggestions or help would be extremely appreciated!!! :D

Comments

• anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Research shows that "follow your passion" is often bad advice. The idea is that the key to finding a great career is to identify your greatest about are likely to be the most competitive, which makes it harder to find a good job. Passion vs jobs.
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Passion is a compelling enthusiastic craving. It comes in many structures, from longing for someone else sexually, to a yearning to work in a specific field, for example, flying or instructing, to have exceptionally solid premiums in travel or certain side interests. It can be for individuals, spots, things or exercises. You simply require a powerful urge to follow up on. It can even be things that make you truly distraught or furious. Tending to foul play or enduring are frequently extremely energetic pursuits.Think of the considerable number of thoughts you have for what you're enthusiastic about as ... to release smart thoughts to squander, however we simply don't have enough time.
  • euruseurus subscriber Posts: 17 Bronze Level Member
    Long time before did we have the mindset of following our parents' footsteps. Now, it is not about following the passion but it is about creating passion in what you are doing. It's not like everyone can be successful when they follow the passions.
    Take an example of American Idol. Every year, there are thousands of candidates showing up for the competition, but there is only a winner. What do the rest people do? They have to suffer the realization that their skills and talents are not enough to maintain their career no matter how passionate they can be.
    In my case, I do not love the nature of my work (which is Civil Engineering). But I enjoy how I can bring the benefit to the society. That's how I remain working in this career.
    Back to your case, I believe you should question how this job can bring benefits to you and to the society. In this era, it is not only about following the passion, but to follow the value you can create for the community.
  • YourRetailCoachYourRetailCoach subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member

Research shows that it is important to follow the passion for making a business successful as this makes finding a great career. If that is in place you can get a good job.

YRC is a Management Consulting Company, especially for the B-C Sector. Our expertise lies into designing of Standard Operating Procedures, Franchise Development, Strategy & Operations services, Process Audits & Training. 
  • GastonGaston subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    This is quite a philosophical question I would say. Having a job or a business that goes along with your passion is a luxury and not many people enjoy it. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you roughly described us what your passion is and we could establish whether it could be any profitable. 
  • Helen LarsenHelen Larsen subscriber Posts: 58 Bronze Level Member
    Hi, Shane!
    Make a game from this business idea. Bet yourself for some amount of money that you'll in 3 months. Change your attitude and you'll be successful.
  • Justin evansJustin evans subscriber Posts: 69 Bronze Level Member
    I must say Passion comes before the idea. Many great ideas fade away if you don't have a passion for doing it. You passionate about doing something will never let you fall. You can go through many hardships but once you are self-motivated and passionate about implementing your idea can lead you to success.
    I'm qualified Software Engineer and Marketer Performing my responsibilities with due professional care and competence. Recently I am working on projects for On Demand industry like ODTap and Cabstartup
  • Jeffrey L EvansJeffrey L Evans subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Passion is just a bonus. Listen to your heart, not to your mind etc are a total waste. Without a strong idea, you can't reach anywhere. Passion may help you to reach the goal faster and help you to endure the process much longer. But never confuse that passion is more important than an idea. 
  • AsfandiyarAsfandiyar subscriber Posts: 25 Bronze Level Member
    I think one without the other can not be.
  • wahidovicwahidovic subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    i think for my situation, I don't love the idea of my work (or, in other words). Be that as it may, I appreciate how I can convey the advantage to the general public. That is the manner by which I stay working in this vocation. 

Back to your case, I trust you should address how this activity can convey advantages to you and to the general public. In this time, it isn't just about after the energy, however to pursue the esteem you can make for the network.
  • AsfandiyarAsfandiyar subscriber Posts: 25 Bronze Level Member
    In addition I can say that if you think about it, it's time to act. You write sure about location, I think you can do it. Good luck!