WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What motivates you to be a Freelancer?

Bobbi CorderoBobbi Cordero subscriber Posts: 2 Member
I have done a lot of freelance writing so far in my career. It is difficult to find a stable job with a steady cash flow while working random hours. Are there any other free translators? How do you motivate with inconsistent pay and hours? How do you get more customers?

Comments

• RjMaanRjMaan subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    To earn a lot motivates me to become a freelancer, simple.
  • austinsparrowaustinsparrow subscriber Posts: 26 Bronze Level Member
    Extra cash to be honest. Also it helps to develop skills
  • Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    If you are only targeting online market, then it is time to look for customers offline. Your friends or family may work in a company that needs your service. The company may prefer to get a freelancer instead of hiring someone. It may grant you a long term project.

You need to act in order to motivate yourself, for example: cold calling or sending cold emails. You may only get a new order after many attempts, but you are progressing. You need some progression in order to be motivated. A person may lose all his 'momentum' if he just to sit idle and wait for order.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• Mary_KeyMary_Key subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Unless you have a contact or reference to get you started, freelancing is often far more work than a full time job both in effort and hours. If you're determined to give it a try, go to one of the big freelancing websites and make a profile and start bidding on jobs.
  • LouBerryLouBerry subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    I agree with austinsparrow, earning extra cash and developing my skills motivates me to be a freelancer. It's not for everyone, you really do need to be motivated.
  • Why-EyesWhy-Eyes subscriber Posts: 51 Bronze Level Member
    Have you tried fiverr? a lot of people look for random jobs on fiverr it may not be steady but it may give you more jobs to work with. And to stay motivated? Ask yourself why are you doing this and what is your ultimate goal? Why am I Here and not working as a cashier for Mcdonals? What's my potential and am I reaching it? and then just go for it! I recommend growing your self on social media platforms so other people know you exist and build value so they keep coming back for more and recommending you again and again! that should give you steady cashflow 
  • mlcmlc subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    I guess its the flexibility that I enjoy...
  • mahamaha subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I am doing a freelance travelling business providing tour services.
  • arjun123arjun123 subscriber Posts: 114 Silver Level Member
     Your freelance motivation is important to keep you driven and focused as youbuild your freelance writing career
  • Diego1Diego1 subscriber Posts: 5 Member
  • Faisal RehmanFaisal Rehman subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    edited February 2020

I have been doing a stable job in a web hosting firm for the last 3 years.

--

Faisal Rehman

Blogger @ SoftwareSpice.com

• Natalie2020Natalie2020 subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2020

The flexibility and additional source of income. When I got a full time job as a content marketer, I let my side-income from freelance editing/writing slip away. Now the company is shutting down and I really miss that extra source of income and work! Plus, freelancing is a great way to explore and grow. It can be a lot of fun!

I mostly got work through recommendations from my clients. The first few clients were tricky to get, but after that the ball started rolling. It's important to ask for recommendations, as very few clients will take that step on their own. And seeking out longer contracts will help to stabilize your income.

• YvonneQYvonneQ subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member

There are as advantages as disadvantages. Flexible schedule, you are responsible for yourself, you can do as much as you can, you can control your incomes by yourself, so on. But also it should be understandable that you should manage your sole proprietorship (read more here: https://ivypanda.com/essays/management-sole-ownership-advantages-and-disadvantages). You should take much more financial and legal responsibilities.

• nihalbasheernihalbasheer subscriber Posts: 3 Member

Working on my own terms.

Gives me the flexibility to do deep work as compared to my regular Job ( which I'm about to quit when I gain some traction )

I hate getting into the traffic and waste hours of my time. What I like is something that I can do in the comfort of my home.

• LifeRevivalUniverseLifeRevivalUniverse subscriber Posts: 76 Silver Level Member

Personally for me, it was a great opportunity to establish my time managment and upgrade my skills.