WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Having trouble converting sales calls?

Andrew BarryAndrew Barry subscriber Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2018 in Freelance
Hello fellow freelancers!
I've been running my own business creating digital training for companies for the past year and the biggest thing I have struggled with is setting up sales calls and then converting clients on those calls. 

So I have dedicated much of the past year to improve my skills in this area. I've been reading a ton of great books and speaking to people with experience in sales. 

I would love to hear your thoughts. Do you have any tips for converting interest and nurturing leads? 

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited April 2018
    Welcome to the community, @Andrew Barry

When I was a freelancer, one tactic that I tried was reaching out to several local public relations and marketing agencies, rather than just individual clients. A couple agencies brought me on to help out on a few projects. 

For my writing endeavors, I would search around the internet for topics of interest (sports, business, and PR writing), and I reached out to blogs by searching for the managing editors contact info on each site's masthead. I secured a contributor role at a few of those sites and even moved up to editor. 

So, long story short, think outside the box a bit. It's not only clients that need help, it's agencies, websites, etc. While our situations differ, as you provide more complex training, I think we were both interested in offering our skill set and services. 

Hope this helps! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    Andrew BarryAndrew Barry subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    That is really helpful, thanks Ryan! I like the agency idea, I might explore that a bit further
  • Options
    ShikiShiki subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    You know, some people are born to be  "a salesperson" and some are not) And of course, you service or product should be really useful and good.  I think it is one of the main points.
  • Options
    computergirlcomputergirl subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    I think tone of voice is really a big factor, think about this, when there's a NO, there will always be a YES! :wink: