WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to get "soccer moms" to like me? Woo friendly theme? Overall look of site?

SLPatHomeSLPatHome subscriber Posts: 5 Member
Hi
I started speechtherapyathome.ca on Wordpress. Thanks to your help I've moved to SiteGround and am thinking that a Woo theme - either on of theirs or something very Woo friendly would the way to go. I started with Storefront but I'm not sure if I can get it to look the way I want. Big part of that though is I'm not sure what it should ultimately feel like. My new site will be speech-therapyathome.com

I'm going to try to sell Speech Therapy Programs that parents can use at home. The site will also offer lots of free advice and ideas to help parents help their kids with speech and language. I likely won't have more than a dozen different speech programs to sell - unless I expand to other areas but I'm thinking staying focused on one area might be best - at least for now.

My customers will be of course be parents. Mostly 30 to 40 something old moms I would think. What would appeal to them - help them to trust me?

Would upfront in your face - here is my product in a very slick "store" look - be off-putting?

More of a home made - blog with a store look - products not on first page be better?

I don't think anyone is going to go shopping for a speech therapy program. Most I would think would find my site by looking for more general ways to know if their kid has a problem and/or how to help speech problems.  

Any ideas on specific themes to try or on the overall look would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help

Comments

• Maurice "Mo" FawcettMaurice "Mo" Fawcett subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there,

I'm starting a software/web development business, so here are my suggestions - as someone in the industry.

If you're going to have a blog with lots of free advice (which is a great idea for engagement, and it's really good for Google SEO ranking), that is a great idea - and I would go with the "Blog with a Store" style website. You could have your home page use a "carousel" rotater to highlight both your blog and your store. Your store page should look professional, of course, otherwise people are less likely to trust it - don't just throw it together, the store page should be where you put the most effort.

Also, keep the website relatively simple. People underestimate simple designs; simple is much better than cluttered IMO.

Those are my suggestions at the moment. If you have any other questions or anything, feel free to ask me. :-)

Good luck!
  • SLPatHomeSLPatHome subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the help.  I do think the blog with a store is the way to go.  Do you have an example of what a "carousel" rotater to highlight both your blog and your store" might look like?
  • Maurice "Mo" FawcettMaurice "Mo" Fawcett subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Here is one example of the "Carousel" that I was thinking of.

I can't share links yet, but check out the Canadian Sleep Country website.
  • SLPatHomeSLPatHome subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks - I saw that option on the Floatsome theme I tried.  I wasn't sure if it would be right for me or not.  I'll give it some more thought.