WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback for My Blog's Design

Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields subscriber Posts: 32 Bronze Level Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if my blog looks good on desktop screens. It looks fine on mobile devices, but I'm getting a message from this Yoast Wordpress plugin that I need to improve readability. Not totally sure what that meant. I hope you can help me out. Would love to hear your thoughts about: http://virtusventures.com/blog/

I've recently started to write some content in there, so please excuse the few entries.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JessikaJessika subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Your site works just fine.

When I look into Yoast and readability it mentions short sentences and connecting words. Perhaps it reacts beacuse you use longer sentences. They read just fine, but Yoast optimises for quick scanning of texts. (Apparently we do not read anymore?)

We all have our writing style; mine is semicolons.
  • Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields subscriber Posts: 32 Bronze Level Member
    Jessika said:
    Your site works just fine.

When I look into Yoast and readability it mentions short sentences and connecting words. Perhaps it reacts beacuse you use longer sentences. They read just fine, but Yoast optimises for quick scanning of texts. (Apparently we do not read anymore?)

We all have our writing style; mine is semicolons.
    Hey, just saw this. Thanks! Really appreciate your feedback. I think I've read something about our attention span dropping way below that of a gold fish (can't really recall much). I'd keep tabs on Yoast then. 
  • CarlbrewsterCarlbrewster subscriber Posts: 160 Silver Level Member
    your website blog section is good, just a suggestion, you can work on your font it's pretty basic try to use fonts like Proxima Nova, if your blog supports. 
  • graphicscovegraphicscove subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Matt,

Away from the actual content of your articles (As you've discovered through the Yoast message) I would also suggest some tweaks to the body copy styling to improve readability for users with poor eye sight (and users with good eyesight who want to keep their vision!).

Body copy should be a minimum of 16px for desktop. Bigger font sizes are better for mobile so bumping up to 18px as a minimum is recommended. I would also increase the line height to a minimum of 1.5. This gives your text more room to breathe and is easier on the eye.

You're not using a solid black for the text, that should save on printing cost for your users.

I'm not sure indenting some of your paragraphs does it any favors. Using an ordered or unordered list (as appropriate) would be better. The centrally aligned paragraphs also don't seem to fit in.

I do like the styling of the blockquotes though, great stuff!

~ Steven
  • codysartonycodysartony subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I like your site too! beautifully made
  • Why-EyesWhy-Eyes subscriber Posts: 51 Bronze Level Member
    it's a very nice page with eye catching photos and a very simplistic format! Will you be planning to let other people write posts on it as well? That would be awesome!