WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How valuable is making a new style of Newlyweds game show ?

HobHob subscriber Posts: 2 Member
Hi advisors !
I'm a system admin from the Netherlands and would like to switch my career.
I'm so motivated to make a game show like the newlyweds. Instead of sitting indoor answering questions, I'm thinking to arrange outdoor scenarios. For example: figuring out clothes or food preferences. Or "What would your partner do in such a situation ?"
I've got the questions (more to come ofc), got the couples (huge social network), and got the money to pay the script writer and the camera and anything else.

My concern is that I notice that Newlyweds show has faded.

So, what do you think, guys ?
Is it worth it ? or should I forget it ?!

Looking forward seeing your opiions.
Hob

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hi, @Hob

That's very interesting. Are you thinking about having the game show in the Netherlands or elsewhere? I believe the original "The Newlywed Game" show ran in the 1960s and 1970s, and has been brought back a few times, but never really found the same success. 

You mention you have the capital to fund things like writers and cameras, and you have couples who are willing to participate, which is all important. But do you have connections in the television business? If your pilot is not picked up by any network, then you would be out of luck. So you have to make sure your show connects with an audience. You also need to consider other production costs like lighting, sound equipment, editing software, etc. Will you be paying or giving away prizes for participants? Will you have an audience? They'll need bleachers/seating. 

I'm a big believer in just going for it, so if it is something you're passionate about, then do it! But the things I mentioned are just a few of the many things you need to consider. Just make sure you cover all of your bases! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    HobHob subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Ryan, I appreciate your quick response. ;)
    We (my gf and me) are thinking to have the show in a native English speaking country since she has many virtual contacts from such countries who probably would like to participate. I still need a local business partner, though. Already thought about that.
    My idea is to publish it online on particular social network sites, not on the regular TV.
    There will definitely be prizes for the paticipiants who know each other the best.

I'm just wondering why the well-known show has accually never found success and never continued.
    This is the only thing that holds me back at the moment.

BTW, if anybody knows of any related argument, I'd be glad to hear it.
  • Options
    HicinkoHicinko subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    A game show like that may be quite successful in the long run. However, it is not necessary that what worked in the past could work in the present. However, it does really matter that you must have the right coordination between the front end and the backend of your team.