WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Tips and Tools For Writing a Stronger Business Plan

Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
edited March 2019 in Business Planning
Reuben Yonatan, CEO of GetVoIP and StartupNation contributor, explains his tips and tools for writing a stronger business plan. 

1. Start with an executive summary, which is absolutely essential. 

For the rest of the tips, and helpful tools, click below!

https://goo.gl/58zxYE

Ryan O'Bleness
Community Manager
StartupNation, LLC

Comments

• YourBizGuruYourBizGuru subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I have learnt the entrepreneur is a key ingredient to creating a successful business plan. It is sort of like cooking Jamaican red peas soup but leaving out the key ingredient red peas so you will probably end up with chicken soup...still soup but not the flavour you were expecting? A customize well written business plan with you in mind is a must.to acheive the flavour you are looking for in your business check out my gig on Fiverr YourBizGuru if this is what you are looking for.
  • HicinkoHicinko subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Being an entrepreneur is of great significance and importance in one's life. However, in this field what makes you stand apart is the fact that how creative and innovative you are. 
  • RajeshRajesh subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    I have learnt the entrepreneur is a key ingredient to creating a successful business plan. It is sort of like cooking Jamaican red peas soup but leaving out the key ingredient red peas so you will probably end up with chicken soup...still soup but not the flavour you were expecting? A customize well written business plan with you in mind is a must.to acheive the flavour you are looking for in your business check out my gig on Fiverr YourBizGuru if this is what you are looking for.
    Great words man. I totally agree with you.
  • emnaemna subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Being an entrepreneur is of fantastic importance and importance in one's existence. however, in this discipline what makes you stand apart is the truth that how innovative and innovative you're.
  • Anna GreenAnna Green subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member
    I completely agree with you
  • SlickAccountSlickAccount subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Hi,
    Entrepreneurship is not that easy. We have faced many ups & downs in our business. There is a say"Failure is the first step towards success" and here SlickAccoun we experienced this. We failed in our first business despite making more profits and the reason is poor cash flow management and financial planning. And we came up with a solution, which is a new product of our new business. We have made a tool to manage cash flow, do budgeting, forecasting, project planning & management etc. It helped us and I hope it will help our customers too. I would like to suggest entrepreneurs to try out this tool i.e. ProfitBoard. Kindly visit slickaccount website to know more about this software.
  • marketinggalmarketinggal subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    Ryan - Great topic. You are so right that the executive summary is key.  If it does not grab your investors, partners or bankers interest your business plan has failed its purpose.  The truth is that many people will only ever read the summary so it needs to be killer. 
    I hired an experienced copywriter to write mine, while I wrote the rests of the plan. This way the summary would be the best it could be.  Worked well for me, since I got investors and launched my firm. 
  • JamieAlexanderJamieAlexander subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2018
    I have checked the article and it's really a great one. It describes well about writing a business plan. This is very important for a business and every businessman should know it. This helps them to implement a perfect plan to develop their business. Anyway, I loved the article and appreciate it.
  • Sandra YanceySandra Yancey subscriber Posts: 34 Bronze Level Member
    A business plan is important for entrepreneurs and business owners as it helps them to focus on specific steps necessary to make their business successful. Some of the tips to write a stronger business plan are: 
    • Business plans should be short and concise
    • Write your business plan in a language that your audience will understand
    • Know your competition
    • Have a solid understanding of the problem that you are solving
    • Understand your customer
  • uniasunias subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    I read short research from Cleveroad company How to make a business plan in better way

You should follow these steps:

Step 1: Draw up an executive summary
    Step 2: Tell a bit about your company
    Step 3: Research the market
    Step 4: Draft a marketing plan
    Step 5: Map out a financial plan
  • wahidovicwahidovic subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    thank you Unias forthis informations
  • BlesseinsteinBlesseinstein subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    I've never seen myself in the perfect state to write a business plan... I have over the years, started up quite a few business which has collapsed and at the moment running two. The issue is I feel I've not really been entrenched in it to be able to write down a very comprehensive business plan for my business. That is, I feel I don't have enough experience to dot things down on a paper. This is because of the mindset I inherited from a book that:- to write a proper business plan you've got to been able to have experienced the business itself for quiet a while...Sometimes I feel like all the previous businesses I've lost is due to the fact of no plan. Is this true and if yes, how can I write a future projected plan. I just cant see myself in the shoes of my future in order to write such a business-changing plan....I'm from Ghana in West Africa, a country full of business opportunities but less fruitfulness in it pursuit.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Research the market
    Know your competition
    Understand your customer

• TeCoTeCo subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Definately - to be honest I take a deep breath and sigh when I see the words "Business Plan" so many templates out there which are so sterile and dead. 
  • Mike95Mike95 subscriber Posts: 25 Bronze Level Member
    Great article and thanks for sharing! I like to add a few other things to keep in mind before writing a business plan. The most important are Know your audience, Do Market Analysis, Set up clear goal or vision etc.