WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

"Outsourced" is a dirty word. What about Distributed?

mike-jemopsmike-jemops subscriber Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2018 in Outsourcing
You can't deny it - "outsourced" is a dirty word.  Don't get me wrong - I've worked with tons of excellent offshore teams - people with incredible skills and ethics - but customer perception almost always disfavors outsourcing on the basis of assumed poor quality and/or ethics issues pertaining to uneducated, impoverished workforces.

Here's the thing - like many progressive companies these days, mine is a distributed team - we have no office - we work via Slack and video-conference. We're Canadians, Colombians, and Britons. Our company is industry-certified and each of us is highly educated with tons of experience in our field - cloud infrastructure. Because we don't have a brick and mortar, we're heavily focused on communications, and our clients are effectively integrate with our online team, albeit temporarily. 

The question is - how do we avoid being branded outsourcers in our marketing efforts? I'm sure it's a question that is going to come up frequently as more and more companies migrate to fully distributed workforces.

Comments

• Options
    marketinggalmarketinggal subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    Good question. Like all industries, a few bad apples have ruined the whole bunch's perception of outsourcing. I like your word "distributed", but as a marketer, I would use a customer benefit type word instead.  Brainstorm with positive words like virtual, professional, custom built team, international, global, commonwealth, laser focus, on-demand, vetted, etc etc
  • Options
    TriceTrice subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    Good question. Like all industries, a few bad apples have ruined the whole bunch's perception of outsourcing. I like your word "distributed", but as a marketer, I would use a customer benefit type word instead.  Brainstorm with positive words like virtual, professional, custom built team, international, global, commonwealth, laser focus, on-demand, vetted, etc etc
    These must go in the thesaurus really