WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Write Cold Emails That Quickly Convert New Clients

Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
edited December 2017 in Sales
Crafting cold emails that actually convert clients is both an art and a science. Ryan Robinson, an entrepreneur and StartupNation contributor, gives several tips below on how to write cold emails that will quickly help you grow your client base. 

Community members, have you had much success with cold emails? 

https://goo.gl/kg9icc

Ryan O'Bleness
Community Manager
StartupNation, LLC

Comments

• Didier AubinDidier Aubin subscriber Posts: 15 Member
    Never tried a cold email. I just write emails with sale messengers, number discounts and CTA button :D . It still gets inquiries but not really effective way. Your article is good but it is not easy to make it successful.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited November 2017
    @Didier Aubin, it is definitely not easy to convert clients after sending out cold emails. It may take a few tries. But being able to build relationships is important. I think another key element to sending out cold emails, whether it be to gain clients or to create awareness/get press, is to show that you actually understand what it is the person you're emailing does for a living or what their interests are. 

For example, if you're sending a press release out about a new digital tool that helps with inbound marketing, look for journalists who have covered the topic before and written about similar topics. Read over one of their articles and let that person know you have read their work and link to it in your email. That way you are building a relationship and also letting them know why you're targeting them. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • eSenseTranslationseSenseTranslations subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    We have had success with cold emails and I agree with Ryan. It is about knowing your target market and offering something that is relevant to them. Personalisation is key. Don't spam people with useless information.
  • Alberto G. MorrisonAlberto G. Morrison subscriber Posts: 26 Bronze Level Member
    Here are the techniques I used to drive thousands of signups for my company: Techniques for killer cold emails
    1. Do your research
    2. Make yourself familiar
    3. Personalize the email
    4. Find something you have in common
    5. Strike a conversation
    6. Use emotional hooks
    7. Make it short and simple
    8. Make it about them, not you
    9. Check the clock
    10. Follow up
  • Chris262Chris262 subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Thank you for this list!
  • ShanoShano subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    @Alberto G. Morrison in your cold email techniques you mentioned 'Find something you have in common' . Do you mean for every contact in the list we customize the email?
  • Noahoscar986Noahoscar986 subscriber Posts: 6 Member
  • Stephannie BakerStephannie Baker subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member

I don't think there is any specific correct answer for that, it's very subjective I am doing it for 2 years and still don't have exact prototype. The key is keep up what works.

• Jessie HookieJessie Hookie subscriber Posts: 351 Silver Level Member

Techniques to Write Cold Emails That Quickly Convert Sales

·        Identify the ideal prospect.

·        Map out what your prospects care about.

·        Get their email address.

·        Hook her/him with an eye-catching subject line.

·        Cut to the chase.

·        Make it personal.

·        Stick to just one call to action.

·        Don’t forget to follow up.

• Stren656Stren656 subscriber Posts: 17 Bronze Level Member

You've just got to do your research and make sure you're relevant to the person you're writing to, too many people spend their time making it about them or their product and not about the problem the person you're writing to faces which is the only thing they're interested in.

The rules of thumb are keep it short and sharp, to the point and friendly and make the case why what you're offering is useful and solves a problem they have and so they should speak to you. If you want more detail on how to write a cold email just check out this guide.

Less work and more sales, check out:
    http://realtimecrm.co.uk
  • VQMarketingManagerVQMarketingManager subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Best way to send cold emails I have found is to not send cold emails. By using tools like lead generation software you can see who visits your website and follow up with them. This is still a "cold" email since there was no dialogue before but it is warmer than buying an email list. These are customer who came to your site and viewed what you had to offer.

The company Visitor Queue partnered with Google Analytics so that they can identify the visitors to your website. Visitor Queue also enriches this information with the name, contact details and user data so you can ensure your sales team is following up with the leads that are more likely to convert.

• swagata_NeoDoveswagata_NeoDove subscriber Posts: 5 Member

I have been using cold emails as my go to strategy for lead generation. The most important part of cold emails is the prospecting.

Reaching out to the decision makers is the key.

personalization plays an important role. My cold emails are highly personalized , crisp and talking about only the pain point that we are solving. The follow up mails do have case studies and features to build credibility. I donot write too lengthy a mail since most people these days check their mails on mobile so short and crisp is the key

• Cage NicolasCage Nicolas subscriber Posts: 8 Member

Can I go for the direct approach first? or Should i follow the hierarchy?

• YaseenYaseen subscriber Posts: 3 Member

Awesome stuff Ryan. I liked the method you used to get their email as I used to by leads off upwork. Cold emailing is a great way of getting new clients

• DanwDanw subscriber Posts: 16 Bronze Level Member

Just sending cold emails doesn't help. But the fact is most of the companies do cold emails or mass emails to reach out to many people at one time. Sending emails for the first time will not help. You need to send at least 5 to 7 follow up emails to get your first response.