WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Replaced slider with a banner on our homepage! Any feedback?

amritamrit subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
Hey Friends,

We read on a few UI / UX articles that it is better to have one banner image rather than a slider on the homepage. As it distracts the user rather than keep him on the page.

A banner helps focus attention, so we decided to add call to action buttons for our main services on the banner itself, and did away with the slider.

This is the website: raycreations.net

Any feedback on this? Do you feel a slider is better? Or was this the right move?

Thanks,
Amrit

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited November 2017
    Here is a clickable link to your site: 
    https://www.raycreations.net/ 

I like the idea of one banner image at a time that you can switch out every so often. 

One thing that immediately jumped out at me, though, was your newsletter signup popup was covered up by your 'Web Design, Maintenance & Marketing" box. Though the box was transparent, I found this distracting. 

I think the different bright colored backgrounds for each service are a little bit "loud" as well. I think you can stick to one color and one that isn't quite as bright. 

Load time was a little bit lagging for me as well. 

Overall, I think the website is easy to navigate and your portfolio is impressive, but maybe work on those thing I mentioned. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • amritamrit subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    Hi Ryan. Thanks so much for the review.

I also thought that a slider should be better and we had a slider there initially. Read an article of Neil Patel, where he recommended that sliders should be used for portfolios, reviews etc. They should be avoided on the homepage, so we made the change. We will monitor how it goes, and make change accordingly.

We avoided the signup pop for as long as we could. I understand it can put off a few users but then may significantly increase the newsletter signup rate. This was an important decision but we wanted to be able to capture visitors contact. As most of them will never return to your site again.

Thanks for the feedback on the bright colored backgrounds. We will look into that.

I thought our site loaded quite fast. It is hosted on our dedicated server. This is also something to look into.

Thanks for the appreciation of navigation & portfolio.

I sincerely appreciate your time & effort you put into reviewing my site :smile: