WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

VOD website

danny463danny463 subscriber Posts: 1 Member
Hi, I'm new here and i hope this is the right kind of website to ask this type of question.
I'm from Europe, specifically Croatia, and for a while i was thinking about setting up a VOD website - video on demand, where customers could rent or buy movies and tv shows in digital form, something that is already available in America and western Europe, but in my country at this time it's not.
The problem that I'm facing is i don't know who to contact for licensing the content, we have distributors in Croatia but they only distribute movies in dvd form and from that dvd's there is very little to choose from. Obviously i would need to contact studios more directly but i don't know should i contact them in person or by a lawyer. If i contact them in person, the only way i know is by email and i think there is little chance they would even respond and with a lawyer it would cost just to make contact, not to mention the negotiations assuming they would be willing.
I'm hoping for some advice because I'm new in all this and any advice that you may have is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited November 2017
    Hello, @danny463! Welcome to the community. 

One other option may be to look into lawyers who offer free consultations and they'll be able to direct you free of charge for an hour or two. From there, you can decide if their services are worth paying for or not. I would agree that you would have a slim to none chance of having your requests replied back to via email from the studios. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC