WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Struggling Intrepreneur

Hello,

I recently left a small business after being there for a year and attempting to implement Lean manufacturing, Six Sigma, IT best practices, most if not all of which was declined. Unsupportive, arrogant leadership are mostly to blame for that.

I shared this concern with a contact of mine, who welcomed me on as his CSO. Same story. I'm finding that I'm needing to "sell" basic fundamental truths regarding scalable growth, best practices, etc. most of which aren't being bought.

Has anyone else come across this? How do you effectively communicate the need for change, and also then get buy in from leadership?

Currently reading Leading Change by Kotter. Great book, trying to implement.

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hello, @sprawlcowboy. Welcome to the community! 

I imagine that the challenges you are speaking about happen frequently. The unfortunate truth with that is some people in roles of power are stuck in their thoughts, ways, values, etc., because it may have worked in he past -- even if now they are outdated strategies. 

Luckily, I have not had to deal with this a ton so far in my career, but there have been instances at previous companies that I've worked for when I had inherently disagreed with the decisions being made and lack of direction or leadership. 

The most effective strategy to show leadership is results. So if you can convince them to try something your way just once, and you get the results you were looking for, use that as a case study example the next time you feel the need to defend your reasoning for a certain strategy. 

If they won't even let you get that far, perhaps try to conduct market research into different strategies and use the power of data and statistics to drive your point home when you are presenting something. 

If all else fails, tell the contact who got you the job that this is the exact reason you left the last company and that you will do so again if your expertise is not valued. 

I know none of  this is really cutting edge insight, but I hope it helps. 

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    PZagottiPZagotti subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    I have been there, and while it dose not make since it is a sign that you are working at the wrong company.
    I remember one company I use to work for came up with a great idea on how to provide the services they where already providing but at a cheaper rates by shrinking their material usage, shipping cost and storage cost. They unveiled their idea in Australia and even won an award for their idea.
    The issues is that they never implemented it whole sell across all their divisions. Top management thought that everyone would just do it automatically because it saved money and gave them a competitive edge. They were wrong and their competition implemented the idea in some markets and where able to undercut pricing and take large market share as a result.
    It sounds trite but it all starts at the top. Obviously, management does not expect their operations and IT people to be efficient and protect their data and make more money. Or another version of the issues is where top management is unwilling to invest time and money into improvements and efficiencies. Or management has allowed a reactionary culture to foster resistance to pragmatic change.
    Funny thing through, sooner are later it all catches up with them. There will be an IT issues and the company will lose data or their competition will surpass them and take their customers.

So the lesson is, corporate culture is important and should be considered before signing on as a contractor or an employee.
    Phillip Zagotti
    Partner
    Zagotti & Burdette CPA, LLC
    ZnBcpa.com