WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Starting a IT Consultant Company

IrvinIrvin subscriber Posts: 3 Member
Hi all,

I have been in the IT/Financial field for over 10 years now. I will like to strike out on my own as a contractor for now then hopefully build up a base so I can expand the business into a company.

I am looking on advice and direction. Can someone point me in the right direction.

I need to understand what I need to offer myself as a contractor to a company or even a sub-contractor to another contract company. (Licences, Insurance, contracts and etc). I am in the process of learn how to form a LLC or Corporation. Or even are there anyone who is currently doing this and is willing to let me pick there brains it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best Answer

• PZagottiPZagotti subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    Answer ✓
    Hi Irvan,

If you are still working for a company please go check your employee hand book to verify there is no conflicts of interest or rules against employees holding 2nd jobs.

don't want to stress you our but 50% of all startups go out of business within 12 to 18 months.

You job is not to be a statistic

At the start you need to spend your money on acquiring clients and marketing and other essential business stuff. You do not need to spend tons of money on a fancy entity or crazy operating agreements that you will not use and whose tax benefits you may never recognize. You can change or start a new fancy / complex entity or create operating agreements for the entity once the company becomes financially viable.
    Phillip Zagotti
    Partner
    Zagotti & Burdette CPA, LLC
    ZnBcpa.com

Answers