WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is it hard to start online business with $1. Not freelancing?

salmonjames21salmonjames21 subscriber Posts: 22 Bronze Level Member
This is an amazing forum where all the entrepreneurs live. Being a new yet enthusiastic student, I don't mind even asking weird questions. So I would like to ask. Is it hard to start a business with $1? If so then why and if no even then valid reasons. 
Case studies if any would love to hear. 

Comments

• Levi Leyba, MBALevi Leyba, MBA subscriber Posts: 26 Bronze Level Member
    As long as you already have a computer and access to the internet. Being that you are online and posting, I'm going to assume that you do. There's plenty of free website platforms that you can use, including Wordpress, where you can build a site for no cost. Sure you will not have your own domain, but you'll at least have an online presence. Then you can install a free template to get you going.

I remember posting an article I found on the balance that discussed 5 types of online businesses you can start with no money. From blogging to being an affiliate marketer, you can absolutely start with $1. I would though advise to not go to the movies for a weekend so that you can save your $9 for a domain purchase.

http://startabiz.org/online-businesses-5-online-businesses-can-start-no-money/
  • salmonjames21salmonjames21 subscriber Posts: 22 Bronze Level Member
    @Levi Leyba, MBA Thanks for taking time and getting back to me. I am looking for an online business and want to start  my own. So I am afraid with this much amount, can I get so?
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited March 2017
    I agree with @Levi Leyba, MBA, that you're going to at least want to ensure you purchase your desired domain name. While it will cost more than $1, it is still extremely cheap in most cases. I would say starting a business on $1 is a stretch to say the least. I'm not quite sure it's possible. But you can easily start an online website on an extremely low budget in 2017. You just won't have any of the bells and whistles that a lot of consumers demand.

So my questions would be, what is your business model, and how would you get customers to use this product/service without those kinds of features, @salmonjames21
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Levi Leyba, MBALevi Leyba, MBA subscriber Posts: 26 Bronze Level Member
    While it is possible @salmonjames21 it's definitely not real case scenario most of the time to start a business for only a buck. Everyone has more than a dollar they can come up with. If you are saying that you only have $1, then you're not trying hard enough or you do not care enough to put in more effort to starting a business.

Look, at this moment, I can go outside, visit my neighbor and say, "Hey, can I wash your car for $5?" or "Can I walk your dogs?" and get paid at least something. Then either use money saved to launch an online business or perhaps use the previous example as a business to start. Walking dogs can literally be started with no money, just your time of going around the neighborhood and asking if anyone wants their dogs walked. Even advertising on Craigslist is free.

Just thinking a little outside the box on this whole dog walking business, if you wanted it to be internet based, then perhaps you can be a scheduler for other dog walkers. You purely place the free ads on classified sites that you provide a dog walking service, then gather a few able people who are willing to do the work and get paid. You make a commission on each job done without even needing to leave your home. With some effort, Salmon James Dog Walking Service can start to earn referrals and you can own an online business without spending $1.
  • sinGNsinGN subscriber Posts: 116 Silver Level Member
  • campextremecampextreme subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Here describe about the online business based informations.the business based full informations are described clearly.i got a more information about the online business.thanks a lot for sharing this article. http://campextremezone.com/corporate-team-outing-bangalore/
    Thanks, all and I appreciate your courteous answers and prompt help.I am asking this question because one of my friends mentioned that he started his online business and even making sales too. He didn't spend any money. Regarding domain, I don't mind as far as someone letting me host it on their servers. 
    I have done some research and found that there are website builders using which, I can get my site. However, these involve technical skills which are somehow not feasible for me. @Ryan O'Bleness
    @sinGN @campextreme

Regarding business model, I want to start an online store and want to sell apparels. I will get apparels from one of my friend who has a boutique and then will sell it to the local market and international market by using my website

• Tom AdamsTom Adams subscriber Posts: 70 Bronze Level Member
    > @salmonjames21 said:
    > This is an amazing forum where all the entrepreneurs live. Being a new yet enthusiastic student, I don't mind even asking weird questions. So I would like to ask. Is it hard to start a business with $1? If so then why and if no even then valid reasons. 
    > Case studies if any would love to hear. 

For 1 $ I can buy a small coffee at McDonald's :) If to say the truth, it depends in what do you want to do online, what kind of business do you want. But personally I can't remember any kind of business you can start with 1 $...
    Tom Adams said:
    > @salmonjames21 said:
    > This is an amazing forum where all the entrepreneurs live. Being a new yet enthusiastic student, I don't mind even asking weird questions. So I would like to ask. Is it hard to start a business with $1? If so then why and if no even then valid reasons. 
    > Case studies if any would love to hear. 

For 1 $ I can buy a small coffee at McDonald's :) If to say the truth, it depends in what do you want to do online, what kind of business do you want. But personally I can't remember any kind of business you can start with 1 $...
    Bt One of my friend is already having his garments shop. He is not technical and asked me that I should assist him to find the right platform. He wants to have an online store plus a mobile application for an online store too. It is, therefore, I am looking for some ideas that where do I get all things. For one time fee, I don't mind but can't pay each and everytime. 

I assure you that building a mobile app is going to be a lot more costly than $1. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Tom AdamsTom Adams subscriber Posts: 70 Bronze Level Member
    > @salmonjames21 said:
    > Tom Adams said:
    >
    >
    > > @salmonjames21 said:
    >
    > > This is an amazing forum where all the entrepreneurs live. Being a new yet enthusiastic student, I don't mind even asking weird questions. So I would like to ask. Is it hard to start a business with $1? If so then why and if no even then valid reasons. 
    >
    > > Case studies if any would love to hear. 
    >
    >
    >
    > For 1 $ I can buy a small coffee at McDonald's :) If to say the truth, it depends in what do you want to do online, what kind of business do you want. But personally I can't remember any kind of business you can start with 1 $...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Bt One of my friend is already having his garments shop. He is not technical and asked me that I should assist him to find the right platform. He wants to have an online store plus a mobile application for an online store too. It is, therefore, I am looking for some ideas that where do I get all things. For one time fee, I don't mind but can't pay each and everytime. 

Does he want to create a new platform or to use a made one?
  • BusinessPlanUpBusinessPlanUp subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Yes it is very hard to start a business with $1 other than freelancing.
    edited March 2017
    If anybody could find a case study to share on a company that started with $1 and then made a significant profit, then I would truly be impressed. But I'm not sure it's ever happened. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Helen LarsenHelen Larsen subscriber Posts: 58 Bronze Level Member
    HI! It's a great question, because people doesn't ask themselves about it and create their own limitations. But everything is possible!
    Let's think together. If you have some skills and can provide some services, the only thing that you need is to let people know about you. But you can do it with social media sources absolutely for free and buy an ice-cream for $1 :)
    So you an launch your own startup with $1.
  • CarlbrewsterCarlbrewster subscriber Posts: 160 Silver Level Member
    $1 is less, even the hosting plans will cost you more!! so, No, you can't start your business with 1$