WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Experience Needed to run a business?

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited January 2007 in Office Workers
Hello,

I`m a college kid taking a break from school for financial reasons. I`m starting a multimedia company. I`m torn between trying to find a job in the industry and learning the ropes first or just going for it on my own. I know that my ultimate goal is to own my own game studio, the only problem with most game studios are that they want to own your ideas outright while you work for them. So my question is this:

Is it better to gain some experience in the industry first? I have been reading and learning on my own but I have no industry experience.

Do I realistically have any chance of starting a business without working for someone else in the same industry first?

Comments

• MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Game design?  If so, then no, you have no chance.  But, don`t get discouraged.  Life is long, get some experience, then give it a shot.  You have youth on your side. 
    You`ll need mucho casho to pay for all those designers before ever putting out a game.  Nobody will give you cash for the start-up unless you are a proven game designer.  Can you start out small in that industry?  Probably not.  I suppose one could try develop games to be played on the iPhone.  That would also be expensive.
  • nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
    I do have project experience does that count for anything? To answer MNGrillguy`s question, yes you can start small in the game industry. I`m starting as an indie developer, the barrier to entry is much lower. With the new technology out I can work on games on everything from the Cellphone and PC to the Xbox360. The market is also increasing.
    So let me pose a different question. How many people have started a business with little experience in thier chosen industry?
  • MNGrillGuyMNGrillGuy subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I think if you could develop a game to be played on the iPhone that is different, edgy, or maybe politically incorrect it could create a good market buzz and you could find yourself in a great position.  Personally, if I had the talent I`d make a game that somehow exploits the 2008 elections.  That is all we are gonna be hearing about for the next two years.  It`s just the type of thing a national news network would do a story on to fill the last minute of a broadcast.   
    I`m starting to see a pattern here. The last 2 posts prove that there may be a market for a software toy/ program that lets you make your own game. There are some now but none are what I`d call mass market friendly.

But let`s focus on the original question people. I was somewhat unclear about my experience. I`ve worked in the customer service industry for 5+ years now. Since I plan to start a service business I think that may help. But I just lack hardcore project experience for web development and game development though.
    thats the new plan I`m starting to develop. Only problem is that the game industry is notorious for not allowing their workers to work on outside projects. Usually they even can claim any work you complete outside the office. Although that`s if you tell them about it.
    yup you`re correct Craig. The name you`re thinking of is Dave and Buster`s. It`s a fun place but I wouldn`t want to work there. While you are correct I could learn from what end users want; I`m doing the same thing now in the bank and clothing store jobs. It`s not becuase I don`t want to do the customer service thing anymore but I need a better paying job to really help my business get off the ground.
    Wow CraigL you lost me for a second but I think I got the gist of what you`re saying. I`m a thinker, and yes I do feel like every experience up till now has been God trying to prepare me for something later. Although this is the case it`s still tough to know which way to go when presented with choices. What I`ve been doing is analyzing my choices carefully, reading stuff from experts and asking for advice. I do all this not to have someone tell me what to do, but I do take all advice and people`s experiences into my consideration. But that said I always go with what feels right at the time. Thanks for your advice.
  • gambitgambit subscriber Posts: 31 Bronze Level Member
    Establishing and running your own business is never easy, and pushing it towards the path of success is twice the struggle. Stirring your sail and making sure that you reach your intended destination takes a lot of effort, discipline, and hardships on your part, but if you are willing to go through it all for the sake of success, then there is nothing to stop you. You need faith in your startup!
  • mahamaha subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    yes, experience matters a lot in your business. It is very important. Starting a business is not much easy. 
  • StephenCookseyStephenCooksey subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member

Starting any kind of business is not an easy task, We should have to take guidance from professionals before starting a business. You can observe your niche business influencers & professionals for growing your business effectively. 

[url=]Remote manager[/url]

[url=]Productivity Measuring[/url]

[url=]Employee hours tracker[/url]

• Jhon CluadeJhon Cluade subscriber Posts: 10 Member

Start small my friend. If you gain experience in the future then that will be the right time to start a business.

Your focus must be 1 save for the capital and 2 is hone your skills and gain experience.

• DanwDanw subscriber Posts: 16 Bronze Level Member

It would be best if you first started by taking some experience and starting something on your own. It's always advisable to get industry experience, as it will open doors of wisdom for you

• mirapool2020mirapool2020 subscriber Posts: 1 Member

It would be best if you first started by taking some experience and starting something on your own. It's always advisable to get industry experience, as it will open doors of wisdom for you

• LifeRevivalUniverseLifeRevivalUniverse subscriber Posts: 76 Silver Level Member

For example, you can attend webinars and seminars online with the experts from the choosen sphere. They usually share their experience and answer many questions.