WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Cold Calling Tactics?

BizEnthusiastBizEnthusiast subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
Looking for some tips and insight on how to improve my cold calling sales experience with prospective clients. Any ideas besides being as authentic as possible?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    McCandlessMcCandless subscriber Posts: 52 Bronze Level Member

Here is what I recommend:

Make your calls 5-10 mins before the hour. When you connect, you basically want to say something along the following lines:

Hi [name],

Our mutual acquaintance [name] suggested I should take a look at what you do.

I've been looking at your service this morning and think we can improve X by Y and had to get in touch.

I'm about to dash into a meeting so can't talk for long now, how about we set up a 20 minute call later this afternoon and I'll run you through it?

The basic structure is the same structure I use myself for any form of cold contact. 

1. Establish a social or personal connection

2. Quickly demonstrate why you are calling and should be listened to

3. Ask a straightforward yes/no question

Good luck!

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited July 2017
    @McCandless, great thoughts and strategy. 

Cold calling is nerve-racking because, let's face it, nobody wants to receive a random call from a stranger trying to sell you something or get your business. 

I think this is a good general structure to follow. The only thing I would add is, although you can follow the general conversation every time, change it up a bit with each person you speak to. Ask them a question about their day or tell a quick anecdote to lighten the mode and show you are being personable. Don't use a cookie-cutter approach. 

Like McCandless said, keep it short, be personal and form a connection.  
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC