WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Junk removal business

morris123morris123 subscriber Posts: 4 Member
should I start a junk removal business in my town, there is none that I have found in the three surrounding towns ( fairly small). Keyword planner gave me 10-100 searches a month for junk removal keyword. There is some competition ( dumpster rentals, regular trash pick up etc...). My main concern is that there may not be enough business to support my my bills and cost of business. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    I'm always of the thinking that if you have a well-thought-out business idea, you've done your research and you're willing to work as hard as possible to turn your dream into a reality, then yes, go for it! 

That is a rather low search frequency for the term, but since your town and the neighboring towns don't have such a service, it could fill a need in the area. You'll need to do your research on this, though -- surveys, interviews, etc. Once you have the business up and running, market the hell out of it to draw buzz. People are often going to have things they want to get rid of. 

Hope this helps. Good luck! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • John DowJohn Dow subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Well, what are the costs of business? Have you done a spot check and asked your friends/family in these target markets if they would utilize it? Are your prices competitive? Some more detail would really help evaluation of whether or not this is a good venture. Thanks :)
  • morris123morris123 subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    I would charge by volume.  Not sure exactly the price per volume yet. As far as competitive price, there doesn't seem like there is anyone doing this. I did talk with a small trash company who says he and a few other companies do take these kind of jobs from time to time but would rather not get into it. ( mainly from curb side pick up companies that doesn't want to waste time at one location). The only cost of business seems to be fuel, truck maintenance , insurance and charges from the dump which charges by volume as well. 
  • John DowJohn Dow subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    @morris123 Got it. Well, it seems like you've done all the things you need to do from an 'Is it possible' perspective. Now, you need to figure out if people would want the service. I know this will take a couple hours, but I suggest you build a custom website where people can sign up to get junk removed, take a few hundred dollars and market the site using Google Adwords, and see how many people you get. From there you'd be able to tell if it's worth going down that path.
    This is a great idea. Just so I understand correctly though, are you referring to setting up a fictional company to see how many people want the business. And should a use a number to see how many phone calls I would get?
  • GastonGaston subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    What do you plat to do with the junk that you removed? Recycle?
    I would separate each materials ( plastic , paper,metal etc...). I will also compress and bale the trash to reduce volume to pay less at the waste dump. 
  • scott.booker.junkremovalscott.booker.junkremoval subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    This is a great article.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    A garbage evacuation business can get critical salary under the correct administration. Its best piece is that you require just an insignificant venture of time and cash to begin such a business. 
  • DersDers subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2020

I think you need to be careful starting a junk business in a town less than say 75-80k if there are already multiple established junk removers there. It will be hard to break into their network unless you are just giving your service away. I am in a city with a couple hundred thousand and there are a few players in the junk removal space and it's tough!

• RichardParkerRichardParker subscriber Posts: 59 Bronze Level Member

On average, junk removal costs $70 to $570 with most homeowners spending between $150 and $350, or $1.50 per ft3. A single-family home will pay around $210 for junk removal while a business will spend about $500. A full-size truck with a max load of 450 ft3 will cost around $550 to haul away junk.

Never give up until get succeed.