WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Crowdfunding campaign for 16-bit game

OldKidOldKid subscriber Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Developing Your Invention
Hello everyone, I hope this is the correct subsection, and I'd wish you tell me everything wrong with it rather than go away laughing about it.
Some friends and I, none of us is exactly mentally "sane", but have formed a videogame development team, where I'm the programmer and co-leader. So far we have only worked through the internet, by sharing ideas and files through chat system, we have calibrated a defined workflow and released a couple games for free, with increasingly better reception. We all agreed to eventually work in our first professional production, for sale, if we get/make the opportunity.
Not for the nostalgia factor itself, but more of a "presentation's feeling", "style" or gameplay perspective, there's plans for a new "true 16bit game", to be released in a "true 16bit console" (bundled with a third party emulator (to ease the gamer's experience), whose author allowed me to distribute for commercial purposes).
I'm also just about to email SEGA asking for permission to sell the game in an old videogame console of theirs.

Has anyone here ran a crowdfunding campaign before? beyond what is "required", what are things I should and not do? or what could I read about it? For releasing a game, are there any legal matters to deal with? patenting our game so gets covered by copyright laws?
Would I have any inconvenience, even if I try to care of every and slightest detail? I seen some horror stories about the huge amount of work running a campaign takes. Social matters wouldn't be much an issue, I will focus on building the engine and demo first, and take a breath to advertise and reply all questions during the campaign, and focus on keep working afterwards. Language barrier will however be an issue, as my english pronounciation is quite terrible, so for videos I'll have to talk in spanish and add subtitles to it (not to worry about in-game text, our translator friend will help here)

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited June 2017
    I haven't managed a crowdfunding campaign myself, @OldKid, however I have also heard it can be a ton of work. I haven't much knowledge about the video game industry, either. 

With that said, I think these two articles from our content side may be able to help you. 

One is a book excerpt about how to engage your community in a crowdfunding campaign: 
    https://goo.gl/uGY3y6

The other gives eight steps on how to create a viral video for a crowdfunding campaign:
     https://goo.gl/sBk24C

Hopefully these will generate some ideas for you. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising monetary contributions from a large number of people, typically via the internet.