WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to structure the day as selfemployed

pashminapashmina subscriber Posts: 7 Member
Hi Guys,

Two months ago I quit my job to become selfemployed. I have two projects I am working on, and more than enough work to fill out the days. It is very different projects, and I really enjoy my new work life.

However, the transition from having a job where you had a boss telling you what to do, to managing my own time is a bit hard. My problem is that I switch a lot between tasks, and it is hard for me to focus.

I am seeking some advise how to manage my time, and becoming my own boss.

Cheers,
Nicolai

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Here are a few suggestions.

• Prioritize by most important task to least important. Easier said than done sometimes, but think about the importance of each task, the timeliness of each task (set deadlines if need be) and the impact of each task getting done or not getting done (how will pushing one task aside effect the scope of your overall business or project?). 
    • Make lists. Pros and cons, to-do, wish lists, checklists, logs, etc. Personally, lists often help me prioritize and stay on track. 
    • Drown out the noise. I easily get distracted by social media or blog websites that I like. Dedicate blocks of time where you focus exclusively on one task. Do not deviate from that task until you have completed it or are happy with the progress
    • Take breaks when needed. Let your mind refuel for short periods of time. And make sure you're getting enough sleep at night to focus during work hours. 
    Also, I would recommend checking out this article: https://goo.gl/3FndRc
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • borntoruleborntorule subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    I use timedoctor app for that. Thus I can schedule my tasks and set the priority. Moreover, I see how much time I've spent and what I have done and what still needs my attention
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Good advice, @borntorule. I find it is helpful to make task lists or set specific times to complete projects. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC