WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Ideas for Side Hustles?

Comments

• GermaineBGermaineB subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, Ryan! I was doing a side hustle to help other entrepreneurs build their business credit profile and getting funding and decided to make my side hustle into one of my parent company's subsidiary.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hello, @GermaineB. That's awesome! I think the trend of side hustles turning into businesses will continue to go up. Thanks for sharing. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Ulla OtterstålUlla Otterstål subscriber Posts: 20 Bronze Level Member
    It's best that you check your demographic first. What do the people around you usually buy? Once you see a common item or service availed within your circle, research on how to do it yourself. It doesn't matter if it's big or small, as long as you earn from it.
    Not a bad idea, @Ulla Otterstål
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • John DowJohn Dow subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    > @Yourlife10x said:
    > Hey Guys & Gals,
    >
    > My name is Ben, and I was recommended to come here in the hopes of finding some really good idea's in creating extra flows of income. Are any of you, or anyone affiliated in any type of "Real Estate" investing? I personally have been looking to expand my knowledge in this section. I believe and many millionaires would agree with me, that it is the ultimate way to generate, "Wealth."
    >
    > If this sounds like an awesome idea to any of you, please reply! :D If I can also do anything to help anyone else push forth and generate extra steams of income, I would love to help! :D :P :D
    >
    > Feel free to message me anytime!
    > Thanks a ton!
    > ~Ben T. :D

Hey Ben,

I encourage you to go to the biggerpockets.com forum. People there are insanely helpful, there are free books, calculators, and the whole 9 yards. I'm a real estate investor on the side and it really changes your life! Definitely pull the trigger on getting involved!
  • dlmillidlmilli subscriber Posts: 10 Bronze Level Member
    > @"Ryan O'Bleness" said:
    > Levi Leyba, MBA said:
    >
    >
    > As an entrepreneur, I guess you can say everything I do is a side hustle. I like how most have said how great it is that side hustles provide for extra cash for only gifting a limited amount of time. Imagine if they were to double their investment with time on these side hustles? It could indeed turn into a business. And a great business because side hustles are usually revolving around what we like to do in life or what our hobbies are.
    >
    >
    >
    > Let's say you create a side hustle of selling gardening equipment being an Amazon Affiliate because you love gardening and can talk a sh*t storm about gardening to anyone that would listen. While you are working away at that insurance agency, your thoughts and passion is with gardening. You make a couple hundred bucks blogging about gardening tips and recommending equipment to purchase on Amazon. But if you do not see that this side hustle can in fact be your golden ticket out of the insurance industry, then you'll be drowning in that dead beat job the rest of your life (most likely). So yeah, side hustles, or however you classify them, are a great "gateway drug" into starting a business.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > True. I'm sure many entrepreneurs started doing things as "projects" in their free time, and were able to grow it into an actual business. It does help when you're able to start a business that you're both passionate and knowledgeable about.
    >
    > You're already going to have the drive to succeed because you are putting all of your time, effort and resources into launching this business, but when it is a topic you are actually deeply-rooted in, you're going to have even more desire to see it through and do everything in your power to make it successful. 
    >
    > Even if that is not what you want to with your side hustle, they still provide an outlet to briefly get away from your day job, routine, rut, etc. 

In my experience, that is part of the problem though... entrepreneurs who are so focused on the next dollar that they lose focus. Obviously people's situations are different. If you have a day job, side hustles can be great for making some money and trying out new ideas. But if you are a FT entrepreneur, and if you can afford it, best to focus on the primary opportunity.
    edited October 2017
    @dlmilli, yes there is a difference and pros and cons to each. 

When you are working a typical 9 to 5 job you may work on building a side hustle at night and on weekends, and though your time isn't abundant, you may have a better opportunity if you use that time wisely. Full-time entrepreneurs are likely already spending almost all of their time on their business and may have even less time to set up a side hustle if that's the path they want to go down. 

With that said, if you're already an entrepreneur, then you have the experience and know-how to set up a business. If you've never done it before, and you're thinking about turning a side hustle into a business, you are going into the unknown. 

So there are pros and cons to each. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • SomediafySomediafy subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    I currently work at the Post Office. Also, I'm pursuing a PhD in Marketing. I started a side hustle in market research. I am not a programmer, but I managed to create my own website at Somediafy.com. I hope to get a sell by April 2018. Feel free to visit my site and lend some feedback if you desire.
  • MSCuasayMSCuasay subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I had two atypical side hustles. I proofread websites and captioned videos. I needed hustles that were flexible since I was caregiving for a parent with Alzheimers. I still caption videos and audio. It makes for a reliable, if small, income stream. Captioning does have a learning curve and those making top dollar are fast, accurate and diligent.
  • GiGeramoGiGeramo subscriber Posts: 10 Member
    What products would you recommend for reselling ? 
  • TriceTrice subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    Private tuition for STEM students college-level pays well. It might need a bit of research on your part though for textbook solutions and homework help.
  • Mohit ChauhanMohit Chauhan subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    Since my passion is finance, my side hustle is day trading. It really gives me a kick everytime I make a profit on it. I started off doing this from an early age with a demo account. Then after I had felt that I had gotten a decent amount of experience, I took things to my own hands. I opened a demat account and a trading account with a broker. Then I just started monitoring the market and made a lot of transactions.
  • denise hiltondenise hilton subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member
    Teaching Chinese kids online can earn you a decent income, around $20 per hour. There are websites like SayABC and VIPKID that pay around those rates.
  • HustlrHustlr subscriber Posts: 1 Member

One side hustle I have been doing is Dropshipping. I have been using Shopify for years, for other sites and have gotten familiar with the platform. On the side, I have helped and created myself a few dropshipping websites.

Dropshipping's profit margins tend to be lower, but the cost of starting up is so low. Its easier to test markets using dropshipping, and if takes off you can jump on it full time or look to sell your dropship store to others.

• JPohJPoh subscriber Posts: 6 Member

For me, since I'm a graphic designer I create shirt designs and upload them to print-on-demand sites such as Redbubble and Design by Humans. Perhaps I will turn this side hustle into an apparel brand one day, but for now I'm able to earn some royalties as passive income.