WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Non-Working out-of-state partner

Thank you for taking time to read this. I am looking for some guidance here.

I am planning to buy a business (in my town) with someone who does not live in my state. This business belongs to his distant relatives. I will be the working partner in this business and he will contribute as he can. He cannot move to my state or even come here regularly.

I need some guidance to define this partnership. What is the most suitable way to approach and handle this. This person is my very good friend and I want to be sensitive to his feelings too.

Right now we have discussed at high level to do 50-50% ownership and I draw salary as a working partner.

This business will be my sole and only source of income. While my out of state partner will have another 9-5 type job. So, from risk point of view, I am all-in with this business but he will continue to build a career with other companies while owning this business. In worst case scenario, if this business fails, then I am left with nothing.. but he will still have an established career.

What do you suggest is fair model of partnership here?

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Although he can't be as hands-on, is he putting the same amount of money (or more) into it? He may also have the upper hand since his family owns it. 

However, if you are putting more money, more time, more effort, etc., you may want to approach him about why you don't feel a 50-50 split is fair to you. But you must do that strategically, and have data and facts to back up your claims. 

This is an old article form StartupNation, but the content is evergreen. It has nine tips on starting business partnerships, and touches on those with personal relationships as well: https://goo.gl/OnMvNI
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC