WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Hello

OldKidOldKid subscriber Posts: 2 Member
Hello, I'm OldKid, and I'm a 20 years old hobbyist 2D animator and videogame programmer
During all teenhood I spent "romhacking" other games or making indie fangames "for the fandom", all for free, while always thinking in what would be better accepted by the public, and attempting to learn and improve my technical and psychologic skill as required.

I'm used to work in these from home, I take care of the game's planification, script, coding and artwork, helped by other friends throghout the net (for such key parts as music and sound, or quality control for instance). Around 2015 I imagined a new concept for my first new videogame built from scratch, with my own gameplay, etc. And I'd like to sell it in both digital and physical release, all in a virtual store.
The thing is, we're capable of developing games at 16-bit+ technical quality in modern style (which also seem to be an irregular trend nowadays for some reason?), but I have no idea about what the marketing (and related process) are!

If it were possible (more like an impossible dream), I'd like to learn all the necessary to have a self-sustainable business related to videogame development. We'd be independent, and one of the less than 5 gamedev groups from this country. I have a "development plan", but I can not fail and miss details at release time for such a delicate kind of product. I think there even are risks of some other person/company stealing my game's name?
I'm really new to this.

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited April 2017
    Hi, @OldKid. Welcome to the community! 

It sounds like you have a very unique skill set. I imagine the video game realm is a pretty competitive space, but I am no expert there. What specific marketing tactics are you interested in learning more about? 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC