WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Starting a Business or something great online !

idrawn fish broidrawn fish bro subscriber Posts: 4 Member
Hey Everyone,

I am from Australia and I will move to South America for a year to live there as I holidayed there and loved it! .
I have been working in the Information Technology industry for 7 years and my speciality is Systems Administration where I have worked for various organizations over the years and have operated at a technical senior level in my last role with a nice pay cheq 

I am planning a head and I am willing to invest $ 20,000 US dollars on something but have no idea on what type of an online business or service I could do to make some money !

I remember when I was a teenager I did worked for those online freelancing sites where I managed to make like $ 90 a week on average and was on standby a lot and worked extra hard and didn’t even make minimum wage and it was just not worth the income.

I am more than fine to live in South America without being employed but I want to do something!

Does anyone have any ideas? Or any experience

Cheers 

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited April 2017
    Hi, @idrawn fish bro, what are some things that you are interested in and what are you passionate about? Or what skills do you possess? I think those are good questions to ask yourself when thinking about what kind of online business is best for you. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Brad RiddellBrad Riddell subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    It sounds like you have really great experience in your niche. If I were in your position, I would set myself up as a consultant to businesses that are struggling with systems administration.

Think about your work over the past 7 years. What types of questions came up? What types of challenges did you face? What frustrations did you experience? What breakthroughs did you discover? What successes did you enjoy?

Make a list of these things, set up a website, conduct some video tutorials, and start building an audience — audience members will be attracted to the value you're creating.

Once you've done that, I guarantee you're going to start hearing from organizations that need help. Charge them $200 an hour (or more), and start getting paid what you deserve for the value you're creating. Ultimately, you'll get to a point where your working less and making more than ever.

If setting up a website or writing blog posts sounds like a pain, you can use your 20k to outsource it on a jobs market like Upwork.

I know your situation is unique, and none of this may appeal to you, but that's just what I would do in your situation. Best of luck!

Brad
  • mickie2008mickie2008 subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Hi friend , consider something important. I´m from Venezuela placed in Southamerica and I can tell you by heart that $20.000,oo is money in these American Countries. Just to keep it in mind. And take good care of yourself. Any questions here I am at your command. Success!
  • idrawn fish broidrawn fish bro subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    > @mickie2008 said:
    > Hi friend , consider something important. I´m from Venezuela placed in Southamerica and I can tell you by heart that $20.000,oo is money in these American Countries. Just to keep it in mind. And take good care of yourself. Any questions here I am at your command. Success!

hello brother :)

what do you mean by "that $20.000,oo is money in these American Countries"

its 20,000 NOT 20,00000
  • Ashley JohnAshley John subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member
    Hi @"idrawn fish bro" I've seen your query in other forums also. Have you any particular interest to tell? Then we people can give you some ideas easily. Because there are already lots of online business ideas that you can do with $ 20,000 US dollars just like e-commerce, online coupons site, live video streaming like Periscope. You can make money from blogging also if you have a website with good content.
  • YourRetailCoachYourRetailCoach subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    To start your own business first knows what you passionate about, what are you interested in and what kind of business you can excel. Next will be you can make a list of important things, build a website, conduct few of the video tutorials, and start building customers.
    YRC is a Management Consulting Company, especially for the B-C Sector. Our expertise lies into designing of Standard Operating Procedures, Franchise Development, Strategy & Operations services, Process Audits & Training.