WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Advice for young wannabe entrepreneur.

BigDawgBigDawg subscriber Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Selecting a Business
Hello everyone,
I'm seventeen, I come from Eastern Europe and I have been reading about entrepreneurship since I was fifteen and I'm absolutely obsessed with it. I'm constantly trying to improve myself and expand my thinking by reading articles, having mentors and listening to podcasts but I'm honestly lost. I can't find my passion and an idea for a business and I can't connect with any aspiring young entrepreneurs locally, everyone in my school thinks I'm crazy for heading in that direction so I'm pretty much alone. The only people I meet are the ones at the seminars I go to but I'm really lost. I don't know how and where to start and what I need. There's also a strong feeling of fear and uncertainty coming with the idea of one day having my own startup.

Any tips you'd give me right now that you wish you knew when you were my age? Any advice in where to start and how to meet more like-minded people? I'm not really sure what to do when I finish school either, do I go for a university degree in software or do I study entrepreneurship or do I just drift off to start my own business? I'm lost, please help.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    I would say that finding your passion is quite important before you pursue any ventures. The reason being is because if you're not passionate and all-in on what you're doing, and if you don't believe in it 100 percent, then neither will potential investors, employees, mentors, etc. You are 17, though. You have nothing but time. Take the time now to think of a great concept. This is something you are passionate about and something that will solve a problem for people or something that creates demand. Take the time now to strategize, and take care of the basic preliminary tasks, such as coming up with a business name, business type (LLC, Inc., sole proprietorship, etc.), securing startup funding, etc.

In terms of schooling, I've always thought schooling is a matter of choice. For me, I went off to a university and worked hard and got my degree in four years. However, that doesn't mean it is the right path for everyone. Some schools do offer entrepreneurship majors or minors and perhaps you would be able to learn a lot. However, some of the most successful entrepreneurs never even finished college (Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc.), or even high school (Richard Branson). Education is a necessary thing in my opinion, but it is extremely expensive and it isn't right for everyone. MBAs are another thing to think about post-undergrad, but again, it depends on your situation. It comes down to what you think is best for your life.

You said you like to read about entrepreneurship, so if you haven't already, I would recommend you check out our content side: http://www.startupnation.com. There are articles galore on just about every topic you can think of. Let me know if I can direct you to any particular topic.

You also mentioned, podcasts, StartupNation also has a radio show that may be of interest to you: https://startupnation.com/startupnation-radio/.

I hope any of this was helpful!
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • bharat.nimblechappsbharat.nimblechapps subscriber Posts: 186 Silver Level Member
    I don't want to say more but one thing I would like to tell is one the best quote.

If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
    I am online marketer at Nimblechapps Web Development Company | Mobile Game Development Company
  • BigDawgBigDawg subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies guys I'll look into the links you sent me.Appreciate the feedback.
  • BenwBenw subscriber Posts: 12
    BigDawg wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys I'll look into the links you sent me.Appreciate the feedback.

Two pieces of advice :)

First, sometimes you don't need passion, you just need to find what really bugs you or you hate. IE, what in the current marketplace bugs the shit out of you because you think it could be done better? Find that and fix it. Sometimes the passion comes later after you dig in.

Second, there are TONS of business owners who don't have passion for the business they are in but do have passion for their team, for running things efficiently, or just the freedom being a busienss owner can bring, and so on. Sometimes you just need to start somewhere and learn and see where it leads. Just jump into a small business and start learning.

Just start. Even if you are selling candy at your school, do something to get you in the game.
    Looking for an online platform to help entrepreneurs & business owners connect?
    Take this survey - Tell me what features you want.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited April 2017
    Benw wrote:
    BigDawg wrote:

Two pieces of advice :)

First, sometimes you don't need passion, you just need to find what really bugs you or you hate. IE, what in the current marketplace bugs the shit out of you because you think it could be done better? Find that and fix it. Sometimes the passion comes later after you dig in.

Second, there are TONS of business owners who don't have passion for the business they are in but do have passion for their team, for running things efficiently, or just the freedom being a busienss owner can bring, and so on. Sometimes you just need to start somewhere and learn and see where it leads. Just jump into a small business and start learning.

Just start. Even if you are selling candy at your school, do something to get you in the game.

It is true that passion can be found in other ways, not necessarily within the business itself, but personally I would be cautious of that. For me, if it is something that I was not completely invested in, I know I wouldn't put in the necessary time or effort needed to be successful. And, as the business owner, if I am not doing everything I can to grow my venture, the people around me will take notice and essentially have the same mindset.

Our CEO here at StartupNation, Jeff Sloan (a lifelong entrepreneur), constantly talks about passion and the willingness to get dirt underneath your fingernails in order to succeed. He is extremely successful and his ardent love of entrepreneurship is what drives him. So, if you are not living and breathing your venture, if it is not what drives you, then I would take that into serious consideration. I agree with Ben that you can always find passion in some other form, and that getting in the game is important; however, from my own personal view, I don't think that is how I would approach it.

Again, everyone is different, though.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Have a feasible business plan. Make a strategy. The presence of strategy have built wonders, its absence, on the other hand, have ruined them.
  • euruseurus subscriber Posts: 17 Bronze Level Member
    For any entrepreneur, the most important thing you should consider at first is the financial strength. If you do not have enough money, ask for an investment.
    In my country, the best way to receive money for start-up is via taking part in the Start-up competition. The investors love ideas of the youngsters, and they willingly invest if the ideas are practical and valuable to the community.
    Good luck!
  • Ashley JohnAshley John subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member
    As an entrepreneur, I can say 3 most important things to be an entrepreneur are -
    1. Hard work
    2. Willpower
    3. Dedication

You should have a proper goal before starting your own business.
  • Levi Leyba, MBALevi Leyba, MBA subscriber Posts: 26 Bronze Level Member

As an entrepreneur, I can say 3 most important things to be an entrepreneur are -

1. Hard work

2. Willpower

3. Dedication

You should have a proper goal before starting your own business.

4. The fact that you're not afraid to fail, but instead see failures as learning opportunities.