WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

VIDEO: Author and Entrepreneur Erik Wahl Discusses How to Defamiliarize the Ordinary

Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
edited October 2017 in Inspiration and Motivation
Watch as artist, entrepreneur and author of "The Spark and The Grind," Erik Wahl, speaks about defamiliarizing the ordinary and looking at things from a different perspective. 

"Defamiliarizing the ordinary is what allows us to push outside our comfort zone and create things that haven't been created before." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3E-2bwFg8
Ryan O'Bleness
Community Manager
StartupNation, LLC

Comments

• Moved_outta_hereMoved_outta_here subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    One of my favorite Erik Wahl quotes, "Normal is boring, and normal is invisible."
  • Cara O'BlenessCara O'Bleness administrator Posts: 68 Site Admin
    Erik's approach to his painting techniques is a great method to apply in the startup world. Consider how most would approach a situation or problem, and find a unique way to solve it. Not only will you set yourself apart, you might make some great discoveries, too.
    Cara O'Bleness
    Content Director
    StartupNation
  • foolishteesfoolishtees subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    This guy is a crazy talented artist! Very inspiring to hear a creative talk about the startup world too.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited March 2017
    @foolishtees, Erik's creativity and different perspectives on things are a big reason why he is so successful -- as @Cara Boyer points out. And I agree, his talent as an artist is nothing short of unbelievable.  

Great quote, @Chris Nierhaus. If you're not daring to be different, or if you're using the same methods as others who have tried and failed, you're never going to get where you want to be. 

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • BrotherJBrotherJ subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Never heard of him. Glad I clicked on this thread. Definitely gives a different perspective not only to artists but also businesses in today's world.
  • Cara O'BlenessCara O'Bleness administrator Posts: 68 Site Admin
    I'm glad you found Erik's approach insightful, @BrotherJ! No matter the industry, I think all entrepreneurs can learn how to unleash their inner creativity through Erik's methods.
    Cara O'Bleness
    Content Director
    StartupNation
    @BrotherJ, glad you enjoyed the content. If you want to become more familiar with Erik's perspectives and philosophies, we have a whole collection of video interviews, book excerpt and more from him on our website: 

https://goo.gl/ygUvyD
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields subscriber Posts: 32 Bronze Level Member
    Thanks for sharing, Ryan! To Be Different... this is a real struggle for many brands. Is it lack of creativity or too much that stalls the process? Sometimes, you think your idea is different only to find out that it has already been done. Then, if you go ahead and try to present a different version of a concept, you suddenly worry about intellectual property that makes you stop entirely.

By the way, I've posted an answer for you re: request for links to StartupNation's content on the topic of disruption; saw that you've already shared one above, so thanks again.
    edited June 2017
    Well said, @Matt Shields

I think the topic of creativity and disruption are indeed challenging. Figuring out a way to stand out in a crowded industry, but also protecting your ideas, is often easier said than done. 

That's why I think Erik's philosophies on this topic are worth listening to. You may have an idea, but how do you make that idea successful? Trust the process, defamiliarize the ordinary and take risks, per Erik. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC