WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What Keeps you Motivated as a Freelancer?

Obie16Obie16 subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
edited February 2017 in Freelance
I've done a lot of freelance writing work so far early into my career. It's been hard to find a steady job with a steady cashflow while working random hours. Are there any other freelancers out there? How do you stay motivated with inconsistent pay and hours? How do you gain more clients? 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• BrianSmithBrianSmith administrator Posts: 15 Site Admin
    Answer ✓
    I've personally had the most luck gaining clients after in-person introductions. Meeting someone face-to-face still seems to be the best way to form a lasting impression.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Answer ✓
    @Obie16, I do think setting yourself up as an LLC. is wise. It's pretty cheap to do, and you can write off a lot of your expenses when you file for taxes. I did the 1099 thing for far too long as well, and I luckily am in a salaried role now. But I know the struggles. It's hard to save money because you have to live off of every penny you earn. I would just tell you to reach out to as many agencies or businesses as possible and see who could use the help. Or apply for full-time gigs. 

If you do set up yourself as a writing service LLC., there are many free, grassroots ways of marketing your business. That includes social media, earned media campaigns (building relationships with journalists and pitching them ideas), word-of-mouth, client referrals, etc. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Obie16Obie16 subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, @Randi Miller! I will look into meet ups and see if I can find that book. 
    Answer ✓
    @translator, yes, good feedback and referrals are key. Perhaps I should develop some sort of rating system for myself, or feedback survey after I have completed a project. 

Answers

I agree that face-to-face is the best way to introduce yourself. However, I've tried a lot of email pitches as well, which I need to work on apparently because I don't get a ton of responses. I think I just need to set myself up as an LLC. instead of working for various companies as a 1099 employee. 
    edited April 2017
    @grayson, working toward a deadline helps me too, but it can be stressful for sure. However, I would rather work toward something with a given deadline than a project with no structure. Otherwise, things don't get done in a timely manner. 
  • Steve Nichols, MSSteve Nichols, MS subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    What motivates me to be self-employed rather than to work for others is threefold: the satisfaction of helping clients whom I want to be successful; the excitement of working on interesting projects and helping to make them successful; and the freedom of choosing whom I work with and why.
  • Steffi DsouzaSteffi Dsouza subscriber Posts: 98 Silver Level Member

Becoming a freelancer can take you on quite the journey. You are your own boss, determine your own schedule, and can even work in your costume if you please. Like all journeys, freelancing can become exhausting and you might find yourself unmotivated, discouraged, and distraught.

3 Ways to Stay Positive and Motivated as a Freelancer

1. Map it out
    Pick a Routine
    Maintain a Separate Work Space

Staying motivated as a freelancer can seem like a daunting task. Especially for those who are new to this sparkling world of innovation and creativity, it can feel like standing up to Goliath. Don’t fret, though, by finding a tight community of fellow freelancers and following these ways to keep motivated you can be on your way to a highly sought-after future in freelancing.

• AsfandiyarAsfandiyar subscriber Posts: 25 Bronze Level Member
    It's easy, look at people who do work in the office. Talk to them and you will understand a big plus of your work. Keep it running like you're working in an office.