WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Disruptive Innovator Clayton Christensen Illustrates the Jobs Theory

StartupNationStartupNation administrator Posts: 625 Site Admin

imageDisruptive Innovator Clayton Christensen Illustrates the Jobs Theory

The following excerpt is adapted from Competing Against Luck by Clayton Christensen, Karen Dillon, Taddy Hall and David S. Duncan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Clayton Christensen is at the top of the list when it comes to innovation and disruption. The "Competing Against Luck" authors bring up a valid point with the jobs to be done theory: The others argue that we don't simply buy products. We hire them to complete a job/task. "What did you hire that product to do?," they ask. It is really quite intriguing. I would recommend everybody read or listen to this excerpt, as well check out the videos of StartupNation's exclusive interviews with the authors.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Obie16Obie16 subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    Wait, you guys got to meet Clayton Christensen? That is so cool. He is somebody I admire and I value his thoughts on innovation and disruption. I am not as familiar with the other authors, but I am excited to learn more about them. The jobs theory is pretty interesting. If you think about it, most products are made to be a solution to a problem/need. But of course there are plenty of products for 'want" over "need." Awesome stuff!
  • Cara O'BlenessCara O'Bleness administrator Posts: 68 Site Admin
    @Obie16, I'm sure you will find plenty to learn from Clayton, and his co-authors, Karen Dillon, Taddy Hall and David S. Duncan. "Competing Against Luck" is full of case studies that illustrate the jobs to be done theory using companies as real world examples. The Milkshake Dilemma is just one of many great case studies you will come across. 
    Cara O'Bleness
    Content Director
    StartupNation