WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Phone Phishing Scams - Is Your Business Prepared?

ridgejoh@2017ridgejoh@2017 subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
Phone Phishing Scams are on the rise again and are targeting ALL type of businesses.  There are various / multiple types of schemes and too many to list here! 

For those who are not familiar with phone phishing scams, they contact your business with the intent to gather confidential information, use scare tactics, and play on your emotions to extract information or funds from you.

I have put a short list together of how to prepare your business against any phone phishing scam:

1. Document and Implement clear cut policies/procedures on interfacing with contractors, salesman, soliciting, etc. 
  2. Familiarize management/staff with some of the phone phishing schemes.
  3. Establish designated personnel to release specific information.
  4. Know how to properly release information without feeding the wolves!
  5. Gather as much information about the caller, the conversation, any ethnicity, etc.
  6. Know when to hang up or call the police
  7. Know who your contractors/vendors are.
  8. Know the status of your company...i.e., are you behind on property taxes, utilities, etc. ( they exploit this too)
  9. Contact local law enforcement if you feel your business has been victimized and make a report?
  10. Communicate with local business owners and law enforcement to know what is going on in your area! 

Any feedback or similar experiences would be welcome!

John Ridgeway
https://rusecurenow.com/
#1 Business Security Website for Information and Solutions

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Interesting, @ridgejoh@2017.  I just heard of a new phone phishing scam this morning where robots are calling your phone, and then the first question asked is "Can you hear me?" Naturally, most people will say "Yes." That "Yes" audio is taken as you agreeing to purchase a product. It is recorded and then used against you. If you don't follow through with the purchase, the company threatens legal action and uses the recording as evidence. I'm not sure how successful that strategy is, but people should be on the lookout! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • ridgejoh@2017ridgejoh@2017 subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    Ryan, I heard of that as well...similarly, there is another one in which the same question is asked "Can you hear me?" and when the person states "Yes" That "Yes" audio is taken as verbal agreement and your phone may be charged for long distance international calls.  Since there are so many, I didn't want to try to explain them all but provide the information and a process in which business owners could be proactive. 
    John Ridgeway
    https://rusecurenow.com/
    #1 Business Security Website for Information and Solutions
    Your tips are much appreciated! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    edited February 2017
    A handy list of precautions for sure, John. Thank you for providing it! 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC