WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Create a Mission Statement for Your Startup that Sticks - StartupNation

StartupNationStartupNation administrator Posts: 625 Site Admin

imageCreate a Mission Statement for Your Startup that Sticks - StartupNation

Few areas in business are as ever-changing as a mission statement, used to inspire team members, make good on its promises and connect people to your brand.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BrianSmithBrianSmith administrator Posts: 15 Site Admin
    I've found that if I Google a company name followed by "Mission Statement", Google is able to produce a block with the company's name, logo, current mission statement, and the date it was created. It's pretty inspirational.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Using buzzwords in a mission statement or other marketing materials does get competitive, especially in business-related verticals. Good writing is more about being able to clearly and concisely take complicated subject matter and turn it into something that everybody understands. I also agree that it's better to set smaller goals, as opposed to lofty ones. Even having a smaller set of subgoals in order to reach the pinnacle of a large goal is good strategy to keep everybody motivated and engaged. It's important to clearly let your audience know what the company expects of itself as well because then both the customers and the internal team can keep the business accountable as a whole.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • BrianSmithBrianSmith administrator Posts: 15 Site Admin
    edited January 2017
    Buzzwords can create memorable marketing slogan, but missions statements need to be clear and sound credible.
  • Cara O'BlenessCara O'Bleness administrator Posts: 68 Site Admin
    Deborah presents some valuable advice for crafting your brand statement. Present your mission statement in the same manner that you would present yourself at a business mixer: with confidence and enthusiasm. While it is important to appeal to your specific audience, always remember that your words reflect your business, so choose them wisely.
    Cara O'Bleness
    Content Director
    StartupNation
    @BrianSmith, yeah, a couple of buzzwords may be OK to generate excitement, but the fewer the better. Same within website copy. You want to have your keywords prominent for SEO, but not in a way where it looks forced. There's a fine line when it comes to writing. I have written a couple of mission statements for companies I've worked with, but I would like to gain more experience with it. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
    Well-said, @CaraBoyer. Especially for smaller companies, as the business owner you are representing yourself as kind of the living entity and brand. The company's mission should be reflected in your actions while you are representing it at events, meetings or phone calls, etc. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC