WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Advice: Include in Price or Not

adrana24adrana24 subscriber Posts: 3 Member
edited December 2016 in Sales
I am located in Europe and will be starting up an online magazine in which the main page is in German and English will be international pages. International customers have the opportunity of sending me their news, PR and announcements but they need to be translated into German.

Question is: Do I include German translation in our package pricing? Meaning, I would be losing money to the sale for the translation (which will be done by an agency.)

OR

Translation will be listed as "Available upon request" so if they don't have anyone in house to translate to German, we will take care of it for them by sending the translation to our trusted agency, and they would be getting an invoice on top for the tranlsation.

I am not sure what is better. The PR will be running the site, so I dont want customers to get turned off by the on top price, but then I dont want 30% of my business wasted away on translation.

In any case, my my prices are way lower than the competitors since I am only a start up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• bharat.nimblechappsbharat.nimblechapps subscriber Posts: 186 Silver Level Member
    I think you should use Google Translation service in your magazine it is online web magazine.
    I am online marketer at Nimblechapps Web Development Company | Mobile Game Development Company
  • adrana24adrana24 subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you, but if you mean running text through the google translator then that wont do an accurate or professional job.
  • Adam JonesAdam Jones subscriber Posts: 124 Silver Level Member
    I don't know whether you're looking for online language lessons, translating dictionaries, native literature,translation services, software, language schools, or just a little information on a language of Websites, or use the Search box to look for sites matching your criteria.You can read more about our history on the About page.
  • eSenseTranslationseSenseTranslations subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi adrana24, having only just joined this site, I have just come across your post, so I'm guessing you are likely to have now found a solution.
    Nonetheless, our opinion would be to add 'Translation available upon request' as those wanting to contribute to your magazine will have likely to have budgeted for this service if they are looking to communicate with multiple target markets.
    Furthermore, in order to get professional translation you would need to a budget for it. As you stated, Google Translate is still not able to provide accurate and reliable results. You do get what you pay for and it is not worth risking your reputation with inferior translation.
  • FrankLeeFrankLee subscriber Posts: 32 Bronze Level Member
    Try to use some freelancers for it
  • Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    You can hire freelancers to get the works done. I believe the price will be much cheaper as compared to the agency. 

1) You can give free translation as part of the promotion for a specific time period (to boost your sales)
    2) Giving it free if they order a minimum amount, $X

Anyway, it depends on how many customers you have. If you are going to publish 10 news (example), but receiving 20 news, then you can begin to charge for translation. 

Even if you do not incur translation cost, I believe you will still need to pay for proofread before printing the news on the papers. Anyway, you have to appreciate the content provided by customers. You won't be able to publish a magazine without them.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/