WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

My First Business

SBostickSBostick subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in Selecting a Business
Hello all,

i am currently trying to set up my first business as a supplier or sub contractor to begin selling goods to the government. Im kind of stuck at a fork in the road at the moment and need some valid tips from people who have been here before. Right now i am by myself and i need to know whether i should set up a sole propietorship or and LLC when im just starting off. Any help would be monumental.

Comments

• MaxibillionMaxibillion subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member
    Either one works. There are disadvantages and advantages for both. LLC will protect you more but a sole proprietorship is free. If you're on a budget then I would go with a sole proprietorship. But don't let it slow down your progress, take an hour to figure it out and then get it done. :D
    Learn what experts are calling the investment of the century... for FREE
    https://maxkosmalski.sendlane.com/view/ ... ment-guide
  • PZagottiPZagotti subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    First, great advise about not letting entity structure decisions slow you down.
    Outside of the momentum argument the other reason I agree with that is because you can generally change your business to another form down the road if the business picks up and becomes successful.
    Now that is the general rule, if you have a lot of personal asset or the work you are going to do could create liabilities that could get you into legal trouble then my answer would change.
    So lets say you are an professional that has build up a nice pile of money and maybe just been laid off or quit to start your own business, then the entity issue becomes very important.
    On the other hand if you don't have much / there is nothing to protect then it is less important.

Either way look at getting insurance to mitigate risk, (especially if you go sole proprietorship).
    Most government agencies require that their vendors have insurance so you will probably need it to register with the purchasing department as a authorized vendor.

Thanks
    Phillip Zagotti
    Partner
    Zagotti & Burdette CPA, LLC
    ZnBcpa.com
  • EunikelivingEunikeliving subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Congrats for your new business
  • Jeff MarlonJeff Marlon subscriber Posts: 71 Bronze Level Member
    Hi

I would recommend to first go for Sole Proprietorship. As a sole trader and starter you'll be knowing the best that what can be the problems your business may face in future. So you'll learn to deal with it alone. Sole Proprietorship involves least legal formalities which will help you to focus on your business operations.
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Owning a business is not for the weak in spirit. You need a strong mind and heart to face the day-in and day-out work. In the early days of the dream, it’s easy to be so excited and enamored with the idea of "your" business that you fail to grind out a proper business model.
  • ankit007ankit007 subscriber Posts: 238 Silver Level Member
    Tap on the connections to take in more.

Step 1: Write a Business Plan.

Step 2: Get Business Assistance and Training.

Step 3: Choose a Business Location.

Step 4: Finance Your Business.

Step 5: Determine the Legal Structure of Your Business.

Step 6: Register a Business Name ("Doing Business As")
  • YourRetailCoachYourRetailCoach subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member

To start a business as a supplier or sub-contractor there are disadvantages and advantages for both. To avoid the disadvantages you need to go to the below steps:

Make a business plan

• Choose a location

• Finance a business

• Give a name to your business.

YRC is a Management Consulting Company, especially for the B-C Sector. Our expertise lies into designing of Standard Operating Procedures, Franchise Development, Strategy & Operations services, Process Audits & Training.