WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Football match screening as a business?

kunalvkunalv subscriber Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2016 in Business Planning
Hello all!

I would like to know how an idea involving screening of football (or other important sporting events) matches in Pubs, with a minimal entry fee which would include cover for a pint or two, sounds. I could host pre-match games like trivia or drinking games, Banter sessions between opposing sets of supporters , gift vouchers etc.

I haven’t done any kind of research on this topic. I guess getting other people’s opinions on the same before attempting a shot in the dark felt like the right thing to me.

Any feedback would be nice :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    Hello, Kunalv.

I have a few questions:

1. Are you talking about American football or soccer?
    2. Most pubs that I am familiar with have multiple TVs, with multiple games on all the time, and allow patrons to watch for free or maybe a small cover charge to get into the bar at night. How would you work it out with the establishments that A.) they charge people just to come in and B.) how would you share revenue with these pubs/bars? Do you think this can be profitable?
    3. In which country do you plan to do this?

I will tell you that research needs to be one of your first steps. You'll need to do market research on your target consumers/fan base, as well as a competitive analysis to see if you have any competitors out there. If there are competitors in a similar business, see what they're doing well and what you can offer that your competitors can't.

Your desired industry is very niche-based, so research may not be the easiest. Still, if you need help with research, I would refer to this 2015 article from StartupNation. While the article is slightly dated, a lot of the content is still quite relevant today:

https://startupnation.com/start-your-business/small-business-expert-advice/conduct-market-research/?utm_source=community&utm_campaign=existingtopic&utm_medium=12418
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • kunalvkunalv subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Hello, Kunalv.

I have a few questions:

1. Are you talking about American football or soccer?
    2. Most pubs that I am familiar with have multiple TVs, with multiple games on all the time, and allow patrons to watch for free or maybe a small cover charge to get into the bar at night. How would you work it out with the establishments that A.) they charge people just to come in and B.) how would you share revenue with these pubs/bars? Do you think this can be profitable?
    3. In which country do you plan to do this?

I will tell you that research needs to be one of your first steps. You'll need to do market research on your target consumers/fan base, as well as a competitive analysis to see if you have any competitors out there. If there are competitors in a similar business, see what they're doing well and what you can offer that your competitors can't.

Your desired industry is very niche-based, so research may not be the easiest. Still, if you need help with research, I would refer to this 2015 article from StartupNation. While the article is slightly dated, a lot of the content is still quite relevant today:

https://startupnation.com/start-your-business/small-business-expert-advice/conduct-market-research/?utm_source=community&utm_campaign=existingtopic&utm_medium=12418

Thanks for your response, Ryan.

Please note point-wise reply to your questions..

1. I'm talking about Soccer. Sorry for not being clear about this initially.
    3. I am from India.
    2. Pubs here do broadcast matches for free. But these are just stuff they display on the big screens, often without the commentary. My intention is to book a pub or a section of a pub solely for screening any big matches as football (or soccer) is HUGE around here, and so is the banter between sets of supporters.

There are also a few pubs that have events where they charge an entry fee for certain occasions such as important games. My intention is to build a platform wherein I engage the fans with a lot of other activities like i mentioned in the initial post and use prizes as incentive for them to participate in said activities.

I know the pubs would charge me for doing this. I have no idea about the actual monetary involvement. I will have to do some research and talk to a couple of pubs so as to see what's on the table.

A brief glance around the internet has led me to believe that at the moment there isn't anyone else engaging in such business.

I hope I've made a few things clear about what's on my mind.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks.
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    I know that here in America things like Sporcle Live Trivia or My Trivia Live have similar models, and build relationships with bars. I am fairly certain that the bars actually pay those trivia businesses, instead of vice versa. Don't quote me on that, though. Of course that is trivia and not sports, but you did mention trivia as a potential pregame activity. I believe those kinds of businesses pitch to the bars/pubs that it brings more people into the establishments; therefore, more money spent on food, drinks, merchandise, etc. I know very little about pub operations in India, but maybe you could use that to your advantage. You would need to "walk the walk," though, and actually bring more people than the usual crowd.

Your marketing efforts would have to be huge to successfully pull this off. I wouldn't go pitching these bars the first time around asking for them to pay you. Maybe once you've established yourself you can try that. Other than that, you would probably need to work out some kind of revenue share or work it out where neither one of you pay each other.

You said you did a quick internet search and didn't come across any competitors, which isn't surprising because as I mentioned it is a very niche-based business idea, but you really have to drill down and find out with serious research. Even things like those trivia companies would be considered a competitor for you.

And even if there are zero competitors in your area, you would essentially be writing the book on how to deploy this kind of business model. There would likely be a lot of trial and error on your part, which is fine, but it would be up to you to perfect it.

I would definitely say those trivia companies have done pretty well, so there is opportunity here if you're willing to put in the work and you're able to increase attendance and participation at each pub. Just my two cents.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • kunalvkunalv subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    I know that here in America things like Sporcle Live Trivia or My Trivia Live have similar models, and build relationships with bars. I am fairly certain that the bars actually pay those trivia businesses, instead of vice versa. Don't quote me on that, though. Of course that is trivia and not sports, but you did mention trivia as a potential pregame activity. I believe those kinds of businesses pitch to the bars/pubs that it brings more people into the establishments; therefore, more money spent on food, drinks, merchandise, etc. I know very little about pub operations in India, but maybe you could use that to your advantage. You would need to "walk the walk," though, and actually bring more people than the usual crowd.

Your marketing efforts would have to be huge to successfully pull this off. I wouldn't go pitching these bars the first time around asking for them to pay you. Maybe once you've established yourself you can try that. Other than that, you would probably need to work out some kind of revenue share or work it out where neither one of you pay each other.

You said you did a quick internet search and didn't come across any competitors, which isn't surprising because as I mentioned it is a very niche-based business idea, but you really have to drill down and find out with serious research. Even things like those trivia companies would be considered a competitor for you.

And even if there are zero competitors in your area, you would essentially be writing the book on how to deploy this kind of business model. There would likely be a lot of trial and error on your part, which is fine, but it would be up to you to perfect it.

I would definitely say those trivia companies have done pretty well, so there is opportunity here if you're willing to put in the work and you're able to increase attendance and participation at each pub. Just my two cents.

OMG thanks for that. I am really interested in the Sporcle business model. I think I have most of what I need to start my research. Can't thank you enough.

I'll get back to you if I need any other help.

Cheers,

Kunal.
  • KK subscriber Posts: 1 Member

hi, i am thinking of a similar model and wanted to know if you were able to pull it off or any other information that could be useful

Thanks