WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Will my startup idea work?

TaylormadejetTaylormadejet subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2016 in Business Planning
Ok so I am currently employed for a windshield repair company in Texas, I've been employed for 2 years almost but I am now ready to start my own windshield repair business but I have a non compete contract issue. I've been planning everything out for about 6 months now but I'm just not sure what to do about the non compete. I'm stuck on it for 2 years after termination and well the longer I wait to quit the longer I have to wait out those 2 years. As you can tell I'm ready to get things rolling. I really don't see myself winning any case because I am going to be doing the exact same work with very similar tools. I'm not taking any other employee with me and I am not taking any customers with me. There are no trade secrets in windshield repair, everyone does windshield repair the same way, you create a vacuum and then you inject an epoxy resin, BIG SECRET RIGHT!? The contract says I can't work in Harris County but I'm actually looking to start it in Montgomery county. if that matters idk. Should I even start putting DBA in my name or business licences in my name or etc? I was thinking about having my father open the business for me, putting everything in his name. But my father will have nothing to do with the business at all. I will then quit my job and start working the business myself. Like actually doing the labor and day to day operations. I do have bills to pay so in order to keep the IRS off my back I will get a part time night job at McDonald or something while during the day I'm working the windshield repair. Then after 2 years of doing that routine, my non compete will expire. Then I will have my father give me the business, write everything 100% over to my name. It seems risky but not really. It's definetly not illegal. It can't be. Yes the business will be in my father's name while I'm doing all the labor for free basically. The business will make money, not me. And in order to keep the IRS from wondering how paying my bills they will see that I'm still employed, even if it is just a part time night shift at McDonalds. This idea can work right?

Comments

• Ankita1234Ankita1234 subscriber Posts: 49 Bronze Level Member
    I can say that having a website for your business is an additional advantage. A website defines you globally.
  • PatriciaTaylorPatriciaTaylor subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    Yes, it's a nice idea to start your own business as you already have knowledge about the work. So you can build a nice business structure to develop it quickly with minimal expenses.
    Boost your Instagram presence - Use Instagram panel for resellers
    split your auto likes, comments naturally.
    Register for free and get 5$ to test the services.
  • ashsummerashsummer subscriber Posts: 33 Bronze Level Member
    You have a great idea, really! At the moment you need 3 things. Those are a solid business plan, a website, and business cards. When it comes to creating business plans, there are tons of great resources with free samples, so that you can use any of them. What concerns a website, you can also use a highly customizable pre-designed WP theme and optimize it according to your needs. When it comes to creating business cards, check out this tool - http://business-card-maker.com/ (I used it and remained pleased :) )
  • DavidKSDavidKS subscriber Posts: 13
    Not easy to say if it will guranteed work out or not. Of course it is some sort of service you offer, but what exactly is it that distinguishes you so much from your competition (and your current/former workplace)? Why would people go to you instead of the one's they know? Is it because you change locations? Or are you faster? Safer? I don't see a "usp" (unique selling proposition) at the moment, which indicates that you will struggle to keep market share (or lets say customers). Of course I believe founding new businesses is a good thing, but you should ground your business on something more than just the next guy who does it. Remember all the costs and risks that come with it. I don't want to discourage you or anything, just have some positive second thoughts to make it work out even more. The idea to have your dad legally own the shop, you should consider asking some lawyer who know that stuff before doing it, just to be sure.
    Anyways good luck! :)
  • jackmaxx12jackmaxx12 subscriber Posts: 2
    It's like asking will you pass the exam? If you study well, and give proper output there is a very high chance that you'd succeed. Can it become a 100 Crore business - well I think it can.

As everyone says it's not idea but execution that matters. What does it mean? I've been asked this question so many times that I wrote a post about my answer. ...
  • rgrinnellrgrinnell subscriber Posts: 3
    It was a bit difficult trying to grasp what you were trying to say when you mentioned "keeping the IRS off your back", but it sounds like you'd like to withhold income when you file your taxes, which is a bad idea. It will come back to haunt you in the form of penalties and interest a few years down the road.

As for the non-compete, I'm not telling you to just go out and break it, but do know that they are basically nothing more than legal scare tactics. It's incredibly difficult and expensive to enforce a noncompete or NDA in most cases. The only thing they can really do is try to bleed you dry until you fold through bogus legal expenses. "Joe blow's small town windshield repair" type of business probably doesn't have the money to do that to you...
  • alohasteph06alohasteph06 subscriber Posts: 7
    You have the knowledge of how to provide the service and now you want to add to that the job of finding new customers. How are companies finding the place you work now? I recently needed a small windshield repair and there was a sign at the gas station I go to that also does car wash, detail and has an oil change shop next to it's convenience store. It is a super busy place so I don't think the owner of the facility would allow someone to put this sign up if the workmanship was shoddy. The price was reasonable cost to what I paid 5 years ago for the same service and that's all the checking I did so I'm not convinced you need anything fancy.

The point is, starting a business isn't as simple as I can do this now people will pay me money for it and that is why people fail. They start focusing more on the name, the office, the other shiny objects. Focus first on who is going to pay you money and what will they pay you for? Then how will they find you? Will you go to them or do they come to you (once someone came to my office parking lot). Then start putting together some financial projections based on that. If that is making sense, then look to the other things.

Having said that, I'm not an attorney, but if your contract says you can't compete in one county and you start in another county, you should be fine and can be legit. I would try to find a free legal resource within a place like a local small business administration to take a look so you can have peace of mind.

In fact, perhaps you could have a referral business with your current boss. If you get leads in his county, you send to him and vice versa. Maybe it's not that kind of relationship but it's a possibility.

Good luck!