WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

is a lawyer needed for an online store

Fanfan0016Fanfan0016 subscriber Posts: 5
Hi, My sister and I are building an online store selling sweets ( cookies, chocolates...). We currently live in NYC and want to know if we need a lawyer to lead us when it comes to filing the proper documentation with the state....by the way anyone know what docs we need to open/own an online store.

Comments

• Charlie PCharlie P subscriber Posts: 84 Silver Level Member
    You are selling food, so I would definitely have a lawyer be apart of your plans. You would need to find a lawyer that is familiar with FDA regulation in regards to shipping and packaging of food.
  • Holly HimmelHolly Himmel subscriber Posts: 5
    Just from my experience, make sure your business is registered as an LLC, to protect your personal assets in case a customer sues for any reason.

The only legal concerns would be with the FDA, although I've see a lot of people start food websites where they sell almost exclusively online, and it's worked out very well for them. They typically target a specific food product, like cupcakes/muffins, and make really unique high quality food products using good ingredients.