WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to reach small business owners?

amberamber subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2016 in Marketing
For over nine years I've advised small and large businesses on how to effectively reach their target audience (B2C). Less than a year ago I decided that I was more interested in helping small brands reach a hyper-local audience and inexpensively brand themselves.

I created Endorsevent (endorsevent.com), an event sponsorship platform that strengthens community by helping local event organizers (mostly non-profits) get things they desperately need (products, services and monetary contributions) for events in exchange for helping local businesses attract new customers through branding at those same events.

Today I've found that my biggest challenge is reaching small business owners - B2B has proven quite different than B2C.

Comments

• Ankita1234Ankita1234 subscriber Posts: 49 Bronze Level Member
    A responsive website design offers you lots of opportunity as you are globally visible. The first thing you should do is to find a brand name, have own website and have discussion.
  • DavidKSDavidKS subscriber Posts: 13
    Hi amber,

I see that this post is rather old, but the problem has still prevailed. We also face similar problems, trying to reach small businesses in the B2B section.
    We found that we could reach a lot of businesses by meeting people on events, making personal contacts and getting contact information. This would complement our already established (online) audience or network, which we steadily supply with information via email, social media or our own webpage.
    We also started writing our own blog and blogging for others in order to extend our reach and reputation among B2B webpages.
    Other than that you just might have to contact them directly by looking them up individually. But then again, we are also still learning, but what can be said is you need to be accessible for your target audience and be where your audience is.
    Hope I could help, would also appreciate replies or more contributions to the topic!
  • kaydeewebkaydeeweb subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    Hello all,

Presence is what you need. Being present across the internet. Remember always that a small business owner is a person, and could find you on many different channels. A small business owner is always thinking about their business and if pop up in the right place, at the right time, helping them to achieve their goals you may win their trust, and eventually their business.

Playing the long game is much more rewarding in this new social media age.

A great place to start is in GROUPS on LinkedIn. Join groups within the industry and join in conversations. Don't just pop in and out; be knowledgeable share your knowledge. Do not SPAM or hard sell. Advise, watch and teach.

Another great place to connect with small businesses is Google+ Communities and Twitter. Join #hashtag conversations. Share and communicate.

Even Facebook, used correctly can reach owners of SMB's.

Support all of that with a website, blog and a newsletter and you are well away!

The point is to gain the trust of your followers and also Google. When you have a solid presence on social networks your website will rank higher, which means you reach more and more people.

And, yes, if your business is localised then some face to face network always makes quality, lasting relationships.
  • clapcreativeclapcreative subscriber Posts: 36 Bronze Level Member
    Prove your expertise in every way you can. In the good old days (like 2002) you could concentrate on advertising or promotion, but the days of search engines have changed that forever. Whatever your web presence, it must reflect your business (web people need to have great web sites, writers great writing, etc.).
    Figure out what the 2 or 3 questions your buyers are asking and answer those on your website and on your blog. Answer those questions in as many ways as possible. Over and over and over.
    Google Marcus Sheridan (the Sales Lion) he pioneered this idea and it is the simplest, most reliable way to build your small business.
    Consider giving an award or recognizing great websites (that you didn't create). That builds credibility and positions you as such an expert that you give awards (and that will help Google find you as an expert).
    Think about it, even people who get your advertising (whatever form that might be) will Google you to find out who you are. They must see that you are an expert. Remember "In Google we trust."
    That will build your business.
  • mickie2008mickie2008 subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    The best way to reach small business owners motivation is to communicate as it is the fundamental tool to get ahead. I hope I have helped.
  • PhillipsPhillips subscriber Posts: 68 Bronze Level Member
    To reach them you can try email marketing,just start with Easysendy Pro which helped 12000 plus businesses to reach customers.
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Small-business owners are always on the run, so call ahead to confirm your sales visits. Maintain a very flexible schedule and be prepared to make changes for this chaotic customer.Don’t gang up on the small-business owner. If you show up with a team of six people in power suits, you’ll most likely alienate him.
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Small-business owners are always on the run, so call ahead to confirm your sales visits. Maintain a very flexible schedule and be prepared to make changes for this chaotic customer.Don’t gang up on the small-business owner. If you show up with a team of six people in power suits, you’ll most likely alienate him.
  • harryventharryvent subscriber Posts: 48 Bronze Level Member
    My opinion to reach out small business owners without any trouble through the campaigns. Almost many of them know about email marketing, it is traditional, more effective and high return of invest technique. You can easily reach plenty of business owners, this type of tool is affordable and ease of use. For marketing tool, check Apptivo. I think this can assist to send campaigns to target audiences. This is one of the ways to reach small business owners, apart from many techniques are available.
  • mansishende123mansishende123 subscriber Posts: 46 Bronze Level Member
    Owners aren’t interested in switching suppliers
    Owners focus on immediate business problems
    Owners are time-starved
    Owners think they are unique
    Owners are value – not price – conscious
    Owners are independent
    Owners are pragmatic
    Owners are protective
    Owners are proud of what they do.
  • ridgejoh@2017ridgejoh@2017 subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    Your efforts to reach small business owners should involve a variety of marketing mix strategies. This would include media print, email, face 2 face, direct mail, website activity, radio, TV, just to name a few!

Every small business owner will respond differently to your campaign, find out which strategies are most effective and optimize.
    John Ridgeway
    https://rusecurenow.com/
    #1 Business Security Website for Information and Solutions
  • arjun123arjun123 subscriber Posts: 114 Silver Level Member
    Facebook is very effective at allowing you to segment. You can start very small by understanding the audience you're trying to target, and can see genuine ROI in excess of 12 times with paid ads.” Understanding the individuality of small business owners and their needs is crucial.